Is there a method to convert geometry create with rhino to grasshopper?

Hello,
I’m new user of grasshopper and I want to know if it is possible ( and how ! ) to transfer many objects create in Rhino to grasshopper (with all parameters as possible for each object ! ) . It is not easy to create object from grasshopper …

Thank you.

Are you looking for a param to select and import geometry from Rhino, or the Geometry Pipeline for a lot of geometry?

Is this what you’re looking for?

1 Like

Hi - It’s not completely clear what you are asking for here, but…

… Rhino isn’t a parametric modeler so if you are expecting things like the width and height of a rectangle to be turned into sliders or so, that won’t be possible.
If you need parametric objects, you will need to build them in Grasshopper.
-wim

1 Like

So grasshopper can’t recuperate all element of object create in rhino3d. For example if I create a sphere in rhino , grasshopper can’t transform automatically each propertie of the sphere (center’s coordinates and radius) to a slider. Do you know if there is a method (a modul) to make rhino as a parametric software ?

1 Like

It’s called Grasshopper…to the extent that Rhino is one.

1 Like

I think he means, He wants a grasshopper/rhino plugin that can recreate geometry in grasshopper and still maintain, its parametrizism ie: a plugin that will provide modelled geometry in grasshopper with all its modelled parameters in the form of sliders, etc. ready to go, with the click of one BUTTON.

I’d like that too.
Kind of like reverse engineering a rhino model in grasshopper, all done by a plugin.
Great Idea for a new plugin.
:smiley:

1 Like

Maybe we can create this plugin together, anyone with any python programming knowledge, can PM me, to join this project.

Any interested persons?
Ciao~

1 Like

It seems not to big difficult to do that for a programmer , I think… ( each object in rhino is very detailed). But why this is not exist when that seems a very requested thing ?

1 Like

Lol a million x million things can go wrong,
All kinds of detailed geometries can be modelled directly in rhino, with its powerful tools.Recreating them, in grasshopper shouldn’t be so easy.
Since Rhino keeps, record of all commands operated.
That could be a possible source of all the transformation and creation data.
Just by the way.

1 Like

On Rhino a “sphere” is a rectangular surface (topologically speaking) defined by 45 control-points, with 2 edges collapsed into poles and the other 2 edges being coincident (the seam). Then there are the correct “weights” for each control-points.

While you launch the command “sphere” Rhino have a function that works with just a center point (or better a plane system) and radius, but after the function is executed you have a “complex” surface, not a “virtually perfect sphere”.

Rhino don’t store the information of how was an object made. To know if a surface is a sphere you need to create/use a method where all its points and weights are checked again (with a tolerance).

Grasshopper, instead, can store the source of a sphere (origin+radius) to keep it “pure”, rhino cannot.
(Actually grasshopper re-create the spherical surface every time, the same way as rhino. Rhino is a surface modeler. )
You could want to “intercept” the rhino command and transform it into grasshopper elements.
Why don’t you make the sphere directly on grasshopper?

1 Like

Thank you very much for your explanations !
For the sphere , it is just an example. I have a lot of files create with rhino and it takes lots of time to do this under grasshopper.

?? It seems not too difficult? That’s why Solidworks costs thousands and thousands of dollars. As your model expands beyond a sphere, the amount of stuff that has to be kept track of throughout all of your actions–stuff that may no longer exist at some stage or with a tiny change produce wildly different output that confounds attempts to ‘link up’ subsequent operations-- expands exponentially.

i think you are looking for some plugin like

CATIA xGenerative Design works

which works in both ways from model to script and script to model …

Yes , but FreeCad is parametric and free… But I agree with you : " the amount of stuff that has to be kept track of throughout all of your actions–stuff that may no longer exist at some stage or with a tiny change produce wildly different output that confounds attempts to ‘link up’ subsequent operations-- expands exponentially " .

Only until the maximum amount of space allowed for Undo is reached. Options > Rhino options > General > Undo > Maximum memory used. When the Rhino session is closed the Undo information is flushed, not stored in the file.

1 Like