Interior sculpture/oculus/ceiling study

Yet more studies of my current (completely self-directed and utterly-imaginary) architecture project, this time of the sculptural element viewed from below. The second version is a (theoretically) more accurately lighted representation (the sculpture is projected to be painted with one of those new high-albedo reflective paints, something like an improved version of the stuff used on highway markers and signs),

These aren’t really full renderings per se, incidentally, since I don’t want to spend a lot of time on studies. They are essentially composited versions of customized viewport Display Modes, output through the Capture Viewport to File command, and assembled in Photoshop.

15 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous, can you share the custom display mode you used? :heart_eyes:

Here you go:

Lewis Alpha Mask from Shaded.ini (13.9 KB)
Lewis BW Shadow from Artistic.ini (12.9 KB)
Lewis Clip Mask from Shaded.ini (13.9 KB)
Lewis Hidden Line from Artistic.ini (13.0 KB)
Lewis Layer Mask from Shaded.ini (13.9 KB)
Lewis Shadow from Shaded.ini (14.0 KB)
Lewis Textured Material Only from Rendered.ini (12.9 KB)

I make and change these things on the fly, depending on the model and what I want to see or capture in the viewport, but this is what I currently have saved. I’ve noticed they don’t perform identically on my two PCs (especially the two Shadow modes) which I take it is probably the consequence of having different vintage Nvidia graphics cards in the two.

I also use the built-in Arctic display mode a lot, for Ambient Occlusion in my renderings.

There’s a discussion of how I assemble these captured viewports in Photoshop in this post.

2 Likes