Increase wall height when increasing height of roof

I have a house designed and have taken one point on the roof and moved upwards to get the roof to have a downward flow. (I love faceted buildings.)

I need to keep the roof at 16" so that would mean that the walls need to meet the roof.

I have tried SplitFace, MergeEdge and other mergings but they did not do what I wanted.

I have also tried Explode, but that made things very messy and was difficult with which to work.

Is there a simple way that I can get the wall to rise anytime I raise the roof while still keeping the roof and walls on separate layers?

Thank you.

Try moving the wall to a different layer once your done then you can make changes any time that only apply to this layer. Danny

@lopacki Thank you for your assistance.

The wall is already on another layer and I am unsure what changes can be made to keep the wall meeting up with the roof.

I am considering just raising the roof by raising an edge (rather than just a point/vertex) and then filling in the difference with another polysurface.

However, doing the above does not allow for the ceiling to raise in the interior. So, I would have to give up the angles I like.

Do you know of a way to get the wall to rise sufficiently to meet the roof when I raise the roof (and avoid messy geometry)?

I realize this can likely be done with GH, but I am not that conversant with GH.

Hi Edward - please post (public) the relelvant parts of your file in a Rhino file, or send to tech@mcneel.com with a link back to this topic in your comments and a clear description of what you want to do.

-Pascal

1 Like

@pascal Thank you.
Roofs_n_Ceilings.3dm (1.3 MB)

Hi Edward - if I understand what you want to do, sub-object (ctrl-shift down) selection may be the trick - if you window around all the roof eleements and just the top faces of the walls, you can move them all together:

-Pascal

@pascal That is exactly what I want to do but with one variation:

I want to lift only one edge of the roof, not the entire roof.

An example of this is in the upper right portion of the model.

Normally, I grab 2 points on the edge I want lifted and raise it that way.

Would that require Explode-ing?

Actually, I grab one (1) point, raise it and then grab the point below the moved point and move the below point up the same amount.

I was also thinking of splitting the wall segments at the locations of the roof pieces so I could move those parts of the wall upwards.

I am not sure I am explaining this well.

OK. My solution was not elegant, but here it is:

1. I raised the roof segments in the plan

2. used the polyline to outline the shape of the area between the wall top and the roof bottom

3. then I caused the curve drawn to become a surface

4. then extruded the face to fit the thickness of the wall, and

5. then I Cap’ped the extrusion.

I think I would have to be more aware of these needs when planning the walls and roofs to avoid the need of this and to use the suggestion from @pascal.