Improvements on saving Worksessions

When I do “FILE / WORKSESSION / SAVE”, I always get the “Save as” dialog. This looks like a bug.
Then, there is the fact that a worksession can be closed without a prompt to save in the case it has been modified.
This is a pain because of course, one will forget to do it and it might be dangerous : you think you are working with some updated referenced files while you still reference old versions.

1 Like

I have also been amazed by the fact that Save doesn’t save the currently active Worksession. That is what it should do.

It seems a bit arbitrary, because I’ve seen it suggest the current Worksession filename when clicking Save As, but a dialog with an empty filename when pressing Save.

Very strange. Should be fixed immediately. (I’ve just started to split up an old project into separate files using Worksession, and this problem is really a pain).

// Rolf

Well, in fact, this is annoying, but the fact that there is no warning is a potential source of huge mix-ups.
And since worksessions are typically used in large projects, it makes the confusion all the more dangerous.

Blocks have always been neglected by McNeel in a similar fashion, by the way.

Hello - this would somewhat defeat one of the purposes of Worksession which is to save a particular state of the project.

The current worksession can be saved with

! _-Worksession _Save

-Pascal

Isn’t that what “Save As” is used for? Or am I missing something about “state”?

// Rolf

Hi Rolf - ws file is meant to hold a particular state of the project - if it were saved every time the active file were saved then that state would be constantly changing. It could be that you always want the ws file to reflect the state of the project when you save the active model, but it seems tricky to just assume that - it is meant to be more deliberate.

-Pascal

OK, we are talking about different things (I’m not into saving the active file). Try this:

1. Open a Worksession with at least two models in it.
  2. Change Active model.
  3. Now click File > Worksession > Save, and you will see a dialog which is kinda lost, not knowing that what Worksession we just opened :

Rhino has a very short memory in this case… :wink:

(It should just Save, no questions asked. “Save As” OTOH is supposed to ask for a new Worksession filename).

// Rolf

Got it - yes, I see- thanks.

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-53952

-Pascal

1 Like

Steely reminder : the “Save” bug is not the most pressing issue.
There HAS to be a warning when the session is closed and has not been saved, just as for (and perhaps even more important than) a Rhino file.

Hello - if I make changes that affect a worksession, like layer visibility, and close Rhino, I see this:

Do you not get any message like that?

-Pascal

No such warning here

Hello - can you please try -
Open the worksession, turn off an attached file’s layers.
Exit Rhino.
Any message in that case?

-Pascal

@pascal , no such message here (Rhino 6SR11) after changing layerstate of attached file layer and exit Rhino (co-worker wasn’t very happy when the message didn’t show up and he lost his changes :angry:)

Pascal,

No, it doesn’t work, but saving the layer states is not the biggest issue here.
When collaborating with multiple companies, Worksession allows Rhino to be used in a BIM fashion.
When other companies update their models, I detach the old one and attach the new revised one.
But if one forgets that he hasn’t saved the Worksession, then next time he opens it, he will unknowingly be working with obsolete data, and that means big trouble down the road.

Hm. Well, I can see that that is not a good thing - but so far I cannot reproduce it, at least in simple tests. Anytime I make changes and close Rhino, I get the warning. I’ll check with the developer, he might have an idea what is happening.

Meantime

_Save _-WorkSession _Save _Enter

may be a helpful macro.

@osuire, @RIL, @ewapenaar - please see https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-51695

Are you running SR16?

-Pascal

6.17.19204.4491, 07/23/2019 here.

// Rolf

Hi Rolf - thanks - and you get no warning for saving changed states of worksessions?

-Pascal

I get the warnings, both for the model file and for the worksession when changing a model layer state (both for changes in the active model and in the other models).

But in the save dialog Rhino keeps forgetting what Worksession I had just opened.

// Rolf

Hey Pascal, how about sending us your bug-free version of Rhino ?