Importing .OBJ files created using Autodesk Recap360, nothing appears

I have .OBJ files that I created using Autodesk Recap360. When I try to import the file (a folder with a .obj, .mtl, and .jpg file) into Rhino for Mac, I receive the “file read successful” message in the commands box, but nothing actually appears. I have tried several of the import settings but no objects or meshes appear. Am I missing a step? Why are the files not opening?

Can you please share an example of a file that doesn’t work right? Attach it to a reply in this thread by using the upload button of the post editor. That way we don’t have to guess.

.obj files cannot be uploaded here so I will up load a zip of the .obj, the .mtl, and the .jpg of an example. When importing, I am only allowed to select the entire folder itself, presumably opening the folder altogether… Monument Valley Left Mitten.obj.zip (16.7 MB)

In Rhino WIP (on Windows) the files load ok. I’ll have to see about Rhino for Mac still.

Here a screenshot of the import rendered with the Raytraced mode (I did turn on the sun)

In the meantime, I have saved the file as a v5 file from the Rhino WIP. Hopefully you can continue your work with that. MonumentValeyLeftMitten.zip (19.6 MB)

/Nathan

Open the folder, drag and drop the .obj .jpg file. Open Rhino, import the .obj file dragged out earlier. Switch to rendered mode.

Thanks @nathanletwory, good to know that it’s not the files!

I’m considering creating a partition on my Mac and would run Rhino for Windows, although I don’t think I have very much room and I’ve grown pretty accustomed to the Mac features in Rhino (key commands mainly).

Before I send you all of my files to render and convert to another format, let me know if you find anything different in Rhino for Mac!

So remove the .mtl files from the budle so that it’s only .obj and .jpg? I will try that, thank you very much @Zsimon!

@Zsimon I was able to open the model, woo! However, in rendered view it was appearing gray. At what point did you import/open the .jpg?

Maybe I did not use the right words. Open the folder and drag out .obj and .jpg files (for example, on your desktop). Now open Rhino and import the .obj file. Switch to rendered mode and you will see the texture.

seems to be a bit weird with this folder because it assumes that the folder is an obj file
anyway if you click on icon view it lets you select the obj file it then works, leaving the files where they are the texture should work straight out of the box. also selecting that object in rhino and using ObjectDisplayMode setting it to rendered instead of setting the whole view to rendered will increase your performance most likely it at least does so on my computer because i have ridded all extra shadings in my render

@RichardZ I suspect that the obj folder keeps the jpg linked to the obj file? Regardless, when I go to open or import the file into Rhino, it treats the folder as an obj file and nothing appears when I receive the message “Opened successfully” or “Import was successful.” Even when I click icon view, I can’t access the contents of the obj folder, so I’m not sure if you’re doing something that I’m missing.

I’ve begun creating another folder entirely for the obj folder and then dragging the obj file itself out one step so that it looks like this:

The mesh.obj opens (and this time the mesh appears), but this seems to unlink the texture, so when I go to ObjectDisplayMode and switch to rendered I don’t get those textures. Can you be more detailed in how you’re opening the mesh but keeping the texture mapping linked, perhaps with video?

I been able to guess the boundaries of these meshes well enough to turn them into closed meshes and convert them to printable stl files, however, I need to be able to generate a detailed render to turn into images for web and print, and then possibly a VR environment.

i really dont know what happened and how you got to that awkward obj file which wants to be a folder instead, its like that emoji movie recently with that meh which was not a meh :smiley:

anyway several people got it working so dont give up that easy, till then try this folder it should work without identity crisis.

new folder.zip (18.0 MB)