Import objects with textures from 3ds max to Rhino v8

I’ve purchased a 3d model that has many vases made and rendered using 3ds max. The files contain obj mtl fbx and max formats. When I import the files (obj and fbx) into Rhino, materials are not imported automatically. I am not sure what is the problem. The seller that sold the files don’t have any experience with Rhino and doesn’t have any intent to help.

The point is, there are many texture, roughness, normal files and I don’t know which file belongs to which vase. So, doing this manually is a bit challenging for me.

When I open fbx and obj files, I am getting the same issue. Materials are not imported and vases are colored with random colors (Display Color).

I opened the mtl file, I noticed there is no reference to textures (jpg, png). I’ve looked to other mtl files, I already have, which were exported by blender. There are multiple references to each material that refers to textures, roughness and normal files. I don’t know if this is related to the problem or if 3ds max save mtl files differently.

This is a screenshot of the mtl file exported by 3ds max.

I’ve also opened the files with Blender. Obj file has the same issue. fbx file is a bit better, at least it didn’t show weird colors, but still it hasn’t read textures.

fbx file opened with blender

Would you please help me with this one. Thank you in advance.

Your .mtl file is missing statements like:

map_Kd abc.jpg
map_Ks def.jpg
map_Ka ghi.jpg

Without these Rhino will not create materials with textures. Some how the export process is incomplete or it is putting the texture files some where else.

The .mtl file should be in the same directory as the .obj file if it had adresses like I show above (simple file name without full path).

As you mentioned, the texture file extension could be .jpg or .png or …
Do you see files with extensions like this?

Regards,
Terry.

Had similar problem a while ago.

Your mtl file should have this:

And you should have the .jpg or .png textures (pictures) also.

It is not a Rhino problem. Most of those models on those sites do not have their textures organized correctly.

Yeah, this is a major problem when buying 3D files from people who are paid 50 cents pr. hour speed modeling these massive collections of furniture/decor elements/anatomy/people/cars/animals. It’s rather easy to export obj-files with textures and relative paths from 3DS Max, but it’s something you need to turn on and create a folder for - and therefore many modelers, working mainly with Vray/Mental Ray/Insert name of Arc-viz render, either don’t know or don’t care to do it properly. I usually end up using their previews as reference and just dragging and dropping the bitmaps. But it can indeed get tedious :grimacing:
-Jakob
Edit: The last time I used 3DS Max was probably 10 years ago, but I assume it’s still a fairly simple operation to export an obj-file with textures - but then again…

OBJ export will work ok with bitmap paths only for Standard materials in 3DMax. If it’s a vray material or any other “special” one, you need to convert them to Standard first.
(plenty of scripts for that on ScriptSpot or other maxscript sites).

1 Like

I think it is a vray material. He wrote in the description 3Dmax 2015 (V-Ray + Corona) + OBJ + FBX. Two of the included files named Collection Vase Decorative-V-Ray.max and Collection Vase Decorative-Corona.max.

So, these files (obj and fbx) can only be opened correctly with 3ds max? I am trying to find a workaround.

I was aware of that but wasn’t sure whether 3ds max exports files differently or not. Especially that when I import the fbx file, materials aren’t imported as well. Could obj, mtl and fbx files be exported differently with 3ds max? Jarek commented below that this could be something related to Vray materials which could be the case.

If you have the textures you can try creating your materials again. Should not take too much time.