How to smooth out surface when using loft

I am looking for some advise on how to get a smooth curve on an object when using the loft command.

I am attaching an example of an object that I created, and as you will see I’m struggling on how to get a nice smooth curvature on the object.

As you will see I created the object with a series of circles, and then used those for the Loft command.

I am flexible on the diameter of these circles… but I just need to figure out a way of getting the correct diameter for a smooth finished product.

Thank you…

KentExample Drawing.3dm (109.0 KB)

Hi Kent - it is just over defined - try lofting say four or five at most, of the circles:

-Pascal

For something like this you might get an even better result just using Revolve - just rebuild your side view curve into something nice and smooth - like a degree 5 curve with 6 points - and then just Revolve it around your center axis. Use CurvatureGraph to check the smoothness of your side view curve, and you’ll end up with a nice smooth final surface.

Thank You very much Pascal… this did the trick.

Kent

Thank You very much for the suggestion…I will give this a shot…

Also… I’ve never used the CurvatureGraph feature… so I’m going to get more familiar with that feature…

Thanks again…

Kent

1 Like

It’s a great (and often overlooked) tool! I’m actually making a video on it right now, explaining the basics.

1 Like

When you get a chance can you send me the link to the video when you post it?

Thanks again…

Kent

1 Like

Here you go!

1 Like

Hi Kent;
After years of using nurbs surfaces in both FastYacht and Rhino, I can relate this: use the least amount of points, curves and the like to define that which you’re after. Easier said than done I know, but if you experiment a bit with fewer curves each of which have the least amount of control points you will have a much easier time of getting a fair result and by that I mean a quality surface that is both smooth and “fair” as we say in the boat design world.

1 Like

Thanks much for the the suggestions on this Robb…

After playing around with this I agree 100% that we are getting much better results with fewer curves prior to using the Loft command.

Rhino 3d has so many hidden capabilities that it’s a challenge keeping up.

Thanks again…

Kent