How to render 20 layer states per V-Ray?

Hi,

maybe some one know a quick answer, since I need to render the views this night. But also on the long run the question is interesting for me. I tried Badger, but it doesn’t start V-Ray Next. I tried the V-Ray batch render tool, but I don’t see how to use it.

Best-
Micha

vray batch tool only works with saved cameras not layer states, afaik. You could save 20 files with all different layer structure. Open a new file and import all 20 files into the batch renderer. Be sure to switch off all cameras you don’t need in the batch rendertool. Vray will also get the settings from each file- so set them in each file before saving.

Thank you for your suggestion @Konrad

I looked around and found a note now that snapshots are experimental supported at Rhino6 and by V-Ray Next batch tool. I have luck, it works. I need to save a snapshot for each layer state before and than it works. During a first run the lens effects and curve controls was not applied, but after I reload and enabled the frame buffer post tools this works also.

Only one strange effect: I created 19 snapshots and saved my project file. I need a very long time to save and doubled the file size from 600MB to 1200MB. @nathanletwory Is it something what you could check please? Or who is the right man to help here?

2 Likes

@Micha, the snapshots person is @lars. That said, if you checked all checkboxes when creating snapshots you’ll grow your file size quite quickly. A snapshot essentially saves in-file copies of the data you checked to safe. You should check only data you really need to snapshot.

my understanding is Snapshots saves everythjng for each state even if you dont check certain boxes; reason being ‘in case you later want to restore something you didnt think of’.
It really makes it unusable now and we are staying away from it because of the huge file bloating issues. Ideally if we just save Sun and View, that’s the only thing that’s saved. So no, file bloat is to be expected now but @lars is aware of the problem.

–jarek

Ah yes, I recall discussions about this at the office. He is indeed aware.

Interesting is that I was so unhappy with the large file size that I jump back to the previous file version (I use incremental save often) and than I imported the snaps from the other file. I saved this project file and the file size was a little bit increased only. (Also I changed the snaplist view mode to “list” before to avoid an increase by a problem with the thumbnail images.) Now, the Snapshot feature is working and the file size is quite ok. I hope this infos helps to improve Snapshot, which is a fantastic feature.

1 Like

Only I hecked layerstates and interesting is, that exporting and loading the snapshots to a previous file version doesn’t dramatically increased the file size.

@nathanletwory I tested to repeat the file size issue from yesterday and I got it again. I could send the scene for further investigation. Is it needed or is the problem know now?

I expect that saving snapshots of layerstate increase the file size a few bytes only, but not a few hundred MB. I hope it can be solved. Can it?

1 Like

Not needed, Lars knows of the problem and we have discussed the issue internally. At some point some solution will be formulated.

For me the snapshot function is like a raw diamond now, since V-Ray support batch rendering of snaps. I’m very curious to see it fully working without to “destroy” the project file.

I was also in the same situation of rendering around 20 layers the previous night.
I found a way to work this out.
Just turn on the desired layers one by one and simply export the file as a VRScene file. Open a new Rhino file and go to Vray batch rendering and import all of the VRScenes. :+1:t3::+1:t3::+1:t3:

1 Like

Good for light scenes, but for 1GB Rhino file size scenes I would need a lot of time. :wink:

Yeah. Probably try using Vray proxies. They speed up the time real quick.

do you have good experience with them? I prefer just to save as a scene file instead of using Vray Proxies, as the material assignment is horrible.

For retaining materials,
Export the geometry as a VRmesh file and then save the 3dm containing the VRmesh.
Then, import the 3dm file as a linked block.

ok, I need to try that. Does this mean you can still edit the materials in the render file? In that case it would be an advantage over using scene files as proxy objects

Yes, so you can still have control over Vray materials in the 3dm file which you are inserting as a linked block in the Parent file.
So, what I am currently doing is that importing these 3dm files as instance lonked block which contains VRmesh and then if I have multiple views to render while I am sleep, I export the views as VRscene file.
Lastly, I open up any new 3dm file and import these VRscenes in the batch rendering option and they are ready for rendering.

2 Likes

thanks, going to give it another chance then. I currently do the same but then with linked normal Rhino files/objects, which is quite a bit heavier