How to make polyline control points always visible?

Hi there!
Is there a way to make polyline control points stay visible after ending of drawing? It`s a bit uncomfortable to press F10 every time when i want to see control points of the polyline. I looked at the view settings but found nothing.
Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

1 Like

Well, you could edit your Polyline toolbar button and use the following macro:

! _Polyline _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _Pause _SelNone _Sellast _PointsOn

Make sure you have enough pauses in there to accommodate a polyline with the most number of points you’ll ever need - plus about 3 or 4…

Otherwise, I think a more elegant solution would be to use a script…

–Mitch

1 Like

Vlad, do you mean keep the control points active/visible as they are normally in Autocad when an object is selected?

Mitch, that`s exactly what I need. Thank you VERY MUCH!

I mean the control points shoud be active/visible after I finish to draw the polyline. For some reason I need to see control points to accelerate my work and Mitch’s macro helps me a lot now!
And of course I’d like to see that option in the future Rhino’s “view tab” settings.

Hi Vlad-

so it would be OK with you if all objects showed control points at once, and this visibility would be controlled globally?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

This makes me wonder how useful a feature would be to “turn controlpoints on, on selected”.
Much like a shade selected. That would be quite beneficial when tweaking curves.
Of course there should be an extra switch to set whether (poly)surfaces should have solidpoints on or controlpoints.

I never thought about it until now, but I do know I often times do a lot of points-on – edit points —points-off.

What do you think?

Hi Willem- as things are now, it seems tricky to me off hand because of the different selection states - if you select an object and it shows points, and you select a point (object deselects) but then deselect the point either accidentally or on purpose, there will be no selection and the points will turn off… or something… it’s not clear how the thing should behave. Do you have an idea of how this might work?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,
I’d like to find that option in the settings>view>display modes>(i.e.) shaded>objects>curves.

Curve/Polyline Control points -> dropdownbox:

• Always visible
  • Visible when selected (like Willem says - I like his idea)
  • Use application settings (that means an ordinary behaviour with F10 - on/off)

I spend a lot of time on editing points of curves/polylines too and this minor enhancement would save a little time.

Thank you!
Vlad

1 Like

One more thing - why do I need this?
You see I often work with T-Splines. In order to build a valid t-surface i use polylines as pattern, so i connect them by lines to obtain 4-points faces. Of course I use osnap, but I need to visually appreciate the number of points in advance. So i have to see control points visible. I hope you will understand my explanation :slight_smile:

I obviously did not think this through, but just thought out loud.

Let me think:

Selecting an object’s control points would not be a problem:
Controlpoints will be disregarded as “new selections” for the cp-selected feature.

Selecting nothing, would keep the last selected object’s CPs On.

How the cp-selected could maybe work:

Select an object → cp-ON for that object
It’s CP’s would remain on until:
a) I select another object that can have CPs ( so no controlpoints, single point objects, etc)
b) I hit ESC

my2c
-Willem

AutoCAD has object grips always on. It’s one of the things I both like and hate about it, mostly hate. I hate the visual clutter of the display when you start selecting objects and all those grips are on. Rhino’s display is much easier to navigate in for me. However, for editing, it’s nice to be able to just grab and drag without having to select the object and hit F10.

–Mitch

1 Like

It would be nice! Especially with ability to control in Rhino`s Options what kind of objects (curves, meshes, polylines, surfaces etc.) are chosen.