How to make a material containing an overlaid gradiant

I’m starting with a 100’x100’ flat surface. I’ve created a material that uses a 10’x10’ tileable water image as the base color. As part of this material, I’d like to overlay a 100’x100’ smooth gradient that changes from 100% transparent to 100% opaque black.

So, when I’m done, I’ll have a surface that looks like water at the front edge, and blends to black at the back edge.

Also, as part of this effort, I’ve been going through the Flamingo help file. However, I seem to be unable to find complete descriptions of what every single material adjustment does. Is there a more complete help file that I’m simply overlooking?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

In searching the forum, Brian James posted a 3DM file that might have what I’m looking for. However, I would still appreciate any additional suggestions.

C’mon, all you material gurus!! I know someone can inform a Flamingo newbie. Here’s what I’m trying to accomplish:

The sizes of my planes (‘A’ and ‘B’) are fairly large. The gradient image I’m trying to apply to plane ‘A’ is 3000x1600 px. And, I simply can’t seem to get it to work.

Also, ideally, it’d be great if I could do this with a single pattern definition. And, the whole purpose of this experiment is because my scene is supposed to be at night, and I want the ocean texture to be visible close to the camera, but fade to black as it recedes in the distance. So, if I can solve this with light settings, instead, that’d be excellent!!

Thanks, VERY much, in advance, for your help and suggestions.

Is this what you’re after?

nxt5_water_fade.3dm (259.3 KB)
I used a gradient texture in an nXt 5 advanced material and set it to be used in the Transparency channel only. I also set it’s width and height to 100x100 to match the plane dimensions. Then I used the rumble bump pattern for the waves.

Many thanks, Brian. That was exactly what I needed:

1 Like