How to get dependent Rhino materials?

Hi,

I have a couch, all parts are using the same material, but if I edit the material of one part, than the other objects stay at the old color. So, how can I get a material connected to the same material of all other objects (same material name)?

Attached an examle.

Also I ask the question because I get independent material ID colors of the new material ID output of Enscape. I afraid it’s caused by a Rhino material issue.

-Micha

matid.zip (2.4 MB)

The couch is a group with a nested group for the cushions. The material “/Stoff_grau” is assigned to all the objects in the groups. I am able to change the color of this material and it updates on all the other objects in the groups. I tested this in v5 and the v6 beta. Can you explain more about the steps you take when only one object in the group is changed by editing the material?

Hi Brian,

I selected one cushion and edit the object -> material properties, for example set it blue. Now, only this cushion is changed. It’s like each object has an own version of the material.

-Micha

I see what Micha sees - only one object changes- a material is shown as /stoff_grau(1) in the material panel after the change but still shows as the original name on the object properties panel… I’ll poke at it some more.

-Pascal

I think I see now you are using ctrl+shift to sub-object select one object or you have exploded the groups… I think the material is not being converted properly from the Enscape material. Is that plugin how you assigned the material originally?

If you assign a new material to all the objects and then try to change just one, they all update as expected. Let me know where the original material was applied from and I’ll file it. Thanks!

I grabbed the trial of Enscape and figured out the problem. It’s a material conversion bug involving Vray, Enscape and Rhino. It can be reproduced in Rhino 5 as well as the Rhino 6 beta but I’m not sure if it’s something we can fix or if it’s an Enscape bug. Here are the steps to see it in Rhino 5:
1- You need Vray 2 and Enscape 2.1 installed in Rhino 5. I don’t know if it happens with newer Vray builds
2- Make a group of objects and assign a Vray standard material with some diffuse color using the Vray material editor.
3- Launch Enscape
4- Switch the active Renderer in Rhino from Vray to Rhino Render
5- Ungroup your objects and select one
6- In Properties>Material, uncheck assign by plugin and change the color for that one object. The expectation is that since there is only one material that all the other objects sharing that material will change… they do not if Enscape was run in step 3.

The only difference if you save and open the file in the Rhino v6 beta after step 3 is that a second material with // in front of the name is created. @andy can you help me out with who this bug might belong to?

I submitted the info on the bug to Enscape through their feedback window in the plugin.

Hi Brian,

you are right, that’s my way. It’s an old interior test scene I used for VfR2 (I’m still using VfR2 daily, since VfR3 isn’t so stable). Now I used this scene for testing Enscape. Is there a way to get the objects linked to the same material again? I tried to assign the material to all cushions from the material editor, but I still can change the color of single cushions. Also the match button of the material properties doesn’t helped.

Thank you Brian and Pascal for your great support.

Make a brand new material with Rhino Render as the active render plugin in v6 or v5 and assign that new material to all the cushions first. Then you can edit the material on one… this should work around the issue.

Oh, that’s hard for complex scenes - creating all materials again can be a lot of work. I hope a better solution can be found.

Thank you,
Micha