V6 material change on one object affects other objects

Hello!
We have had this issue for quite a while - when selecting one object and applying a new material on it, or making the material unique and modifying it, all the objects with the original material change as well.

I cannot change a single pane on a kitchen facade without other kitchen parts turning green.

Is this a bug? I have seen a similar post on the forum, but it was from 2018 - and the problem was fixed back then.

I would really appreciate your help or comments, this is putting me in a difficult situation for my presentation!

Best regards,
Geneviève

Hi Genevieve - it looks like a bug - can you post or send us the file at tech@mcneel.com? Please include a link back to this conversation in your comments.

-Pascal

Hello there!
Has someone had time to have a look at this?

BR
Geneviève

Hi Geneviève - it looks like there was no link back to this topic, so no one knew to send it over to me, I am looking at your file now.

@genevieve.guex - I need a little more info - how, exactly, are you assigning materials? There are a number of blocks in the file, are you assigning materials inside BlockEdit?

-Pascal

Thank you Pascal,

I remember copying and pasting the link to the forum topic page – perhaps it was not the right way to do it?

Like this:

https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/v6-material-change-on-one-object-affects-other-objects/92832?u=genevieve.guex

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Geneviève

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

image003.jpg

image004.jpg

I had a problem with materials from v5 to v6 (the count of used v5 materials in the v6 scene was not right).
It seems v5 materials behave wrong in v6.
No idea if this is the right solution, but I had to remove “old” materials and replace them with new v6 ones…
Hope this helps.

Hi Geneviève - it sounds like Pascal found the mail, so no need to worry about that now.
Could you please provide the extra information that Pascal requested?

-wim

Hello,

I don’t have blocks in this file.

I have tried to select an object, go to the material palette and select another one, or using the match command and selecting another
object.

The behaviour appears on specific machines but not on my laptop for example.

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

image003.jpg

image004.jpg

Hi Genevieve - there are dozens of blocks in the file (see `BlockManager’) - is some of this from a SketchUp file originally? At any rate, when you select an object (one that does not work right) to change the material, what does Properties say about the object type?

-Pascal

Alright, we are not talking about the same file.

I uploaded one a couple weeks ago using the web interface and had no response – so I created a topic with another file, lighter, but behaving the same way.

Can you confirm that you have a farmhouse and not a kitchen?

I usually explode block instances to change the material, or insert the original one as separate objects, change the material and re-create the instance when it looks right.

BR

Geneviève

GUEX-G V6 material bug.zip (3.33 MB)

Thank you, I’ll have a look.

Hi Geneviève - Weird… so far I do not get the behavior you show… I’m at a loss. I can apply Leaves to the door you show and that is all that changes - I see there are two objects grouped and there are more groups - are you selecting directly by clicking or using SelGroup, or?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,
This behavior occurs on two particular machines, but not on our other two. We have tried to ungroup, explode + re-join, copy and paste in a new document. Using the match object properties or creating a new material has the same results - the other objects change as well.
Would you be interested in trying a teamviewer session to se it in action?