How to create a linear weaving pattern on a global geometry?

Hi!

I’ve created this organic form and would like the surface to look as much as possible as the surface of the chair made my ZHA and Nagami. Please find attached pictures.
My intention is to create several layers that are perpendicular to each other, lika a weaving pattern that embody the structure of this form.

Where do I start?
Is it possible?

Hi,

You can directly share pics, files here instead of hosting somewhere.

Cheers,
BVR

Thanks for the information!

No reply??!! :frowning:

Doesn’t seem like anything is woven in the ZHA and Nagami chair, so not sure what effect you’re wanting.

You could start by extracting the isocurves of the surface:

1 Like

Would this tutorial work?

Zubin Khabazi, a graduate of EmTech, Architectural Association (AA), London, has added to his Generative Algorithms series:

Weaving Patterns.

You can download the book here:
Generative Algorithms - Weaving|

2 Likes

Sorry for the late reply, been busy.
Is this extruded later to make the surface or lofted?
I am quite new at grasshopper.

And also can you please explain more thoroughly what you have done in each command? Just a short explanation of how the gh script is doing the shape. I would be very grateful.

Could work, I’ll have to look into a bit more!

Thanks a lot!

Hi Tlionel,
This is only supposed to be a jumping-off point. Trying to tackle this will take a lot more problem-solving.

Try plugging these components in and see what they do- best way for you to gain an understanding.

I had imagined you would take the resultant curves across the surface and pipe them.

There are many ways of doing the same things in GH, each with their own set of advantages/disadvantages. I have given you another way of achieving the same result which may hopefully be easier to understand and lead to fewer issues for you down the line.
Description of each component is in the image.

Here is the GH file; take a look through it, change sliders, recreate it… it will help your understanding.
Tlionel_Tut.gh (14.0 KB)

1 Like

Wow thanks! This will be very helpful!
I will study it now.

I have a question about the curves. Are they drawn in Rhino first and then applied to the grasshopper parameter curve? Because when I download your file it is only the gh file and opening this creates the curves and surfaces directly. I can’t manipulate the curves manually.

Hi -

If you right-click on the Curve parameter, you will see that the data is internalized:

When posting Grasshopper definitions on this forum, we encourage users to internalize all referenced geometry so that you don’t have to deal with both a GH definition and a 3DM file.
You can simply reference other curves in Rhino to override this data.
-wim

1 Like

Along with the explanation from @wim
You can check this video of @DavidRutten; referencing a curve is the first thing that is done in this video. This whole series (which seems like you’ve already started looking at) is great at getting you off the ground with GH.

Good luck and enjoy the learning!

1 Like

Aha thanks for the explanation!

Thank you, I will check the video.

Here’s something similar, but for rectangular cross section parts. It’d probably be easy to swap in round cross sections, probably easier to work with round than square, actually:

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ll check this out as well!

My intention is to produce two parts. The first part is to be milled out and create a organic-shaped- block, a sort of a template. Then I will print on top with the “weavering/linear pattern” and after it hardens remove the template.

I hope my description make any sense.

Oh I forgot to say my question…I wanted to ask how to make template out of the organic shape?

Here is a simple NTS chair: using an existing weaving addon!
2020-10-16_14-35-56|690x446

2 Likes

Wow thanks for the reply and the help! Sorry for the late reply though…