How to: Carving/Sunken Stairs into Mass in Rhino. Attempt tried

Hello there,
I am currently trying to design stairs in hopes that I would carve into the mass just like the reference below however, I am having trouble rationalizing. I need the guidance so that I will be able to do it alone any guidance is appreciated. And if there any sources on concrete stair design one can recommend.

Thank you

Hi @wqae,

Could you elaborate on what you want to achieve? Are you looking to produces surfaces, as seen in the photo, for illustration? Or are you looking to produce a detailed structural design with, say a formed concrete structure paved with slabs?

Regards
Jeremy

1 Like

hello Jeremy,
Sorry for the confusion. I am trying to achieve what is in the photo with the concrete slabs however I don’t understand the how-to rationalize it in rhino. I have shown my attempt by creating a trapezoid then setting contour lines with extrusion to look like steps. I have tried to look online how to achieve stairs in this manner with ergonomic measurements however cannot find any.
\If there are any recommendations it will be helpful.
Thank you

also I trying to create the illusion of digged in stairs /lounge sitting area .

The Metric Handbook, edited by David Littlefield (mine is the 3rd Edn from 2007, ISBN 978-0-7506-5281-0) is stuffed with ergonomic data and has a section on exterior steps: that might help with decisions about go and rise dimensions, and help you think about factors like drainage.

HTH
Jeremy

1 Like