How do i fix hole in surface - beginners problem

hello, i have this “hole” which isnt really a hole but i can’t 3D print it like this.
how do i fix it?

Hi -

That’s a hole, all right : )
I’m afraid that object looks rather messy. Among other things, I see an isocurve that doesn’t meet the edge. That’s not a good sign.
In order to be able to help you with that object, you will need to upload the 3dm file here.
-wim

magicvaults1_help.3dm (2.3 MB)

there you go.
yes as said, very much a beginner here.
help is very appreciated.
it only needs to be fixed as much as to be able to export a clean Gcode for 3d Printing. Doesn’t have to be perfect;)

Instead of bashing along, I’d recommend going through prepared tutorials.
You’ll pick up Rhino modeling techniques much more quickly than banging against it.

Don’t know how you created this, but it would take lots of work to make it clean enough for 3D printing.

Your model consists of 100 polysurfaces grouped together. Many of them are not closed and/or have overlapping or reversed faces.

I ungrouped your model and spread it apart (with grasshopper). The faces that are red here are backfaces:

Generally if you’re wanting to create a model for 3D printing, you want one closed object. You might be able to get by with multiple closed objects, but this model is just a a mess - better off starting again from scratch.

Also, you should follow the advice from @John_Brock and follow a few basic tutorials. You will save yourself a lot of time if you learn how to create good models from the start instead of trying to fix them later in the modeling process.

-Kevin

If you want to ram jam fix this thing, download mesh mixer or nettfab and run repair operations on it with a student or trial license until it gets to a point where it’s happy enough for STL export. To fix your hole / not a hole explode it, use points to identify the endpoints in space and use the _Srfpt tool to snap to those points with the point snap on. You could use this method to cover up your bad geo, and then use Nettfab to fix it all. It’s really a cheap way of doing things, but if this is something for school and you on deadlines this would be the most expedient way of making the file, but it may change the look. If you were to use end snaps and click on all the points and use the _srfPt, you should be able to rebuild it in the way that you want with surfaces… just may take a while and you need to make sure things are snapping correctly.

okay you all, thanks for the tips, in the end i just went on and printed it. I will post the picture some time this afternoon. i have to say we are at the very beginners class of architecture and haven’t been teached about this sort of geometry yet, i just went on and looked up some stuff from youtube. it certainly fulfilled its purpose for now, but i will take your advices to heart and maybe go on with the tutorials on this site.

thank you for your time!