How can I flatten an image that is texture for a mesh to become a 2D photo in ortho views?

Hi,
V5,.
I need to speed up the file, the 420Mb mesh takes ages for a file save, or even moving about and despite decimate, which has in fact lessened image quality, a save is still taking time.
The mesh is in fact of a T beam and I am only interested at the moment in the image so may as well flatten the image texture for the mesh, use it as a 2D photo in both top view and front view (front being a view of the entire length of the T beam).
How can I enter top view and flatten the texture to become a 2D photo, then enter front view and flatten texture to become 2D photo ?

then save as a new name and discard the mesh.

Steve

I don’t understand quite anything of what you want

Nor I…

-Pascal

1. Run Plane command. It will draw rectangular planar surface.
  2. Run ApplyMesh command. It will copy the mesh with the texture onto the flat surface.
  3. Delete the flat surface and the original mesh.
  4. Align the vieport with the new, flat mesh.
  5. Run ViewCaptureToFile command. It will save viewport image to a file.

Hi,
I think Andrew does.

Let me explain better,
I have a mesh of a ‘T section’ beam. its an upside down T. from photogrammetry of an original beam.
I have to show someone where the holes are to be drilled on their replica beam.
a lot of triangles for what are flat surfaces. I am purely interested in placing the texture image onto that T beam I have drawn in rhino, to see where the surface detail drill holes in the original item sits.

I just need this for its side view and top view.

I need to apply the raster image onto the beam and nuke the mesh.

By apply I am quite happy to have it as a planar image above the beam and in front of the beam, I can still plot the holes that way. to have it placed on the beam is nice so I can rotate it in perspective view.

There is a broader idea here, if one is interested in a raster image of an original item , and one has drawn that item in Rhino, and have a raster image but imported on a mesh, how to get it from mesh to the nurbs object !

clear as mud.

Steve

There are two ways to transfer image onto NURBS surface:

First way - use texture:

1. Go to Materials panel. There is Textures chapter there. Click “…” in Color. It will ask you for the image. When the image is there (in the Color), drag it into the NURBS surface. (I do not remember if you can drag texture directly in Rhino5. If not, you have to make material from the texture and you drag the material.)
  2. You can see the texture on the NURBS surface in rendered display mode. If it is not in the right place, or has wrong scale, use Unwrap command, then UVEditor command.

Second way - use decal:

1. In Rhino6 you apply decals by selecting the NURBS first, then going to Properties panel and clicking (property page) decal icon. In Rhino5 there may be separate decal command. You can cover the entire NURBS surface with decals.
  2. You have the option of joining all decals into one texture - Bake command does it. You can further edit the texture with Unwrap and UVEditor.

Hi, thanks,
I will give it a go.
on this thread I have posted an image, as its bad upon import in rhino versus source prog.
Its just the T beam side face, and maybe upper surfaces of base of T beam, no point in having a massive file size if the image could be flattened, though it is lovely seeing the model rotate with textures, bad as they are, .

Steve

Hi Steve - If you have the image, make your beam in Rhino, in place on top of the mesh and then use the mesh as a custom mapping object and apply a material with that image. Now… I am not at all sure that this will help in terms of file size - it may, I’m not sure if Rhino holds onto the custom mapping object in its entirety or just transfers the TCs. In any case you can delete the custom mapping object once it is applied - the mesh in this case.

-Pascal