HighRes Textures can't be shown in Rhino5 — why?

As you see the upper picture is a Jepg of 14000px length
below 32000px (large format jepg PS format)

Can anyone explain?

Thxxxx H

Well, it is very large -

14,000 x 32,000 x 3 = 1.344e+09 bytes = 1,344,000,000 = about 1.3 GB

if I am not mistaken, if it is a 24 bit image; 1/3 more if it is a 32 bit image.

I don’t know what the limit is in Rhino but it is much smaller than that.

-Pascal

You are most probably maxing out your VRam.
You are limited to the memory of your graphics card.

To check this go Tools > Options. Expand the View section and click on OpenGL.

This will list a bunch of stuff including the max texture size your vid card will handle.
A 32K image is going to need a darn expensive video card :wink:

Steve

Ok very sad, so I’m limited :(((((((
I need to render out the texture, is there no way of limiting texture size in viewport for performance issues but drive from large file when rendering?
whohoooooo :’( :’( :’(

AND! due to my limitation to 16384x16384px is this the multiplication of both length and width = 268435456px? Or am I limited to 16384px in width or in height for the texture, since my texture is rectangular shaped…

thanks for all you input, since I want to increase detail as much as possible.

Just a thought … if your rendering is the typical size, like 2000 x 1500 pixels, then that texture map is overkill. You won’t be able to see the majority of the 16,000 pixel-wide texture map.

Regardless, any crazy big texture map will still RENDER OK, as long as you have enough RAM. What you see in the viewport LIVE and what gets rendered by the CPU are different.

Hi,

I’m no OpenGL expert so take this with a pinch of salt.

As far as I understand the GPU looks at textures and resizes them to square power of 2 images.
In other words, if you have an 8192 x 16384 it will crunch that back to 8192 x 8192.
Also any sizes that are not exactly power of 2 pixel dimensions get resampled back to the nearest power of 2 size.

To get maximum value from the texture you are trying to render, do the following.
(I’m assuming since you are doing a sphere you have a 1:2 rectangle texture)

In Photoshop take your 16384 x 32768px image and with proportional lock UNchecked, re-size it to 16384 x 16384px.
It will obviously now be crunched horizontally but don’t panic, it will render just fine. Use that texture and you will get the maximum that you can out of your hardware. This is better than letting the GPU resize the image.

Hope that helps, Steve

Having a total pixel size for textures in that size area is actually no more that uncommon – specialized apps allow for hundreds of textures and many GB of of bitmap-data on a single model.

It was very helpful if RMA for V6 looked into UDIM or Multi Tile UV Support, as it’s available in most VFX-packages.That way one could break up UV’s + texures in smaller chunks without having to explode the model physically. Here’s a nice explanation.

As a hack @hannesgrebin might try to divide the existing input texture in 12 equal parts and to use 12 individual materials, each assigned to one tranche of the ball.

Hey thank you so much guys, followed your strategies and came up with 2 separate strategies (after repeating the texture divided by 12. Now I would manually load the 12 Parts and render out one piece at a time) either cylindrical and spherical mapping. Would like to use spherical mapping because cylindrical will have distortion on the upper and lower part. BUT: how can I scale the texture vertically since it is distorted as well but evenly? Or should I work on the corresponding Texture and add some pixels below and above? Thanks

OK found the solution, have to calculate the equator and meridian and then extend the texture in height. Works Beautifully. Thanks a bunch guys! keep you posted. Without you I would get stuck into serious problems within this project!

THANKS — you made my day!!!