Rhino 6 for Mac too low CPU usage

My Macbook Pro 16-inch is with a Core i9 running at 2.3GHz. However it has been extremely laggy when it comes to slightly complex modelling or physical simulation run by grasshopper.
I found this wired so I had the same models and simulations run on windows PC. They were perfectly smooth on PC with much less powerful CPUs.
So I checked my CPU usage on Mac and found the problem, the CPU usage never exceeded 10% while I was working in rhino.
I have asked apple technical support and they told me that the system does not limit CPU performance. Then the problem has to be caused by rhino. I’m running rhino at the latest version and couldn’t find a setting on CPU limitation.
Can someone please help with this? I really enjoy working on Mac, but this laggy performance is forcing me to switch to windows when it comes to complex model.
Thank you very much.

Do you have a Radon Pro or Intel graphics card?

If the later, you are going to have problems with any graphics on the Mac.

CPU is the lowest indicator of performance on a computer. The bus on most computers cannot handle the throughput of a typical CPU. The $500 premium one pays for extra Mhz on a CPU is just money in Intel’s pocket.

Thank you for the reply
It has both AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB and an Intel one. It runs on Radeon Pro when rhino is on.
I have heard that rhino is completely CPU-based for rendering and physical simulations, so I think any regular graphics card could handle the work smoothly.

I have a similar spec 16" MBP, and have been experiencing laggy, slow behaviour with Make2d, and anything with lots of curves, just dragging with the Gumball is painful 🤷

Please see the CPU usage tracker at the very top.
Running extremely laggy when simply assigning a point in GH,
but just couldn’t be bothered to give that i9 a bit more work to do with.
CPU usage is even higher when using safari posting this update :sweat_smile:
please help

Hi @xyznma -

This is likely a little too late, but I presume you’re still experiencing performance problems in Rhino for Mac. To help, we’d really need a few things to reproduce them…the 3dm file, the Grasshopper file, as well as detailed steps as to what you are doing.

-Dan

Thank you for the reply. I have upgraded Rhino for Mac to V7. The maximum CPU usage has increased to around 17% and the performance has been improved. However, it still runs significantly slower than Rhino for Windows V6 that was run with even a lower spec.

Please find the files I have been working on attached. They are to build a tensile fabric. If you could open up the 3dm file and then import the gh file it would show the finished model.

U count and V count are for the quality of the fabric, higher the better. When shifting the slider for U count and V count, my Mac runs extremely slowly and the frame had dropped under 5fps. I had to wait for around 10 seconds for a single shift for the U count or V count before my Mac could respond to me, this is very inconvenient as I had to spend ages on waiting just to do some experiments on the shape of the fabric. In contrary, it is much smoother on Rhino for Windows V6, as it only glitches for less than a second when shifting U count or V count, which is what I am expecting from Rhino for Mac.

I am currently working on a larger project, the glitching has become more and more intolerable when ever I make any changes, including rotating my perspective, while the CPU usage never exceeded 20%.

I hope I could find a way of allowing Rhino for Mac to gain more access to the CPU resources, I really enjoy using for Mac version as the interface and its adaptation with trackpad are just perfect. But the performance is limiting the size of the project and forcing me to move to windows whenever the project becomes more detailed and enlarged.

the Octagon V9s (FINAL Fabric).gh (14.9 KB) the Octagon V9s (FINAL Fabric).3dm (2.4 MB)