Help streamlining process using Flow Along Surface Command

Hi all, I’m having some trouble conforming an array of scales onto a surface. I was able to do it before but there is distortion towards the ends that I would like to minimize. Now, when I try to use the command it takes too long and ends up freezing Rhino. If anyone can suggest a better approach, that would be great. Thank you!

Here is the google drive link since the file is ~200mb

Hi @lrg002,

Welcome to the forum. If the teeth are all the same, you could try converting one to a block and replace the group of 238 individual polysurfaces with 238 block instances. That will then process much faster; although I am not sure how well the blocks will flow…

Also I note that you have both polysurfaces and meshes in your group: do you intend to flowalongsrf both categories?

Finally, the polysurfaces seem to be replicas of the meshes. If you intend the polysurfaces to be smooth and not heavily faceted you could remake them with simpler surfaces which should also improve processing time.

HTH
Jeremy

Hello - the target surface has a very different structure than the flat one - see how the isocurves compress here:

That is not the case on the flat surface - the UV is a regular grid. The command maps object from the UV and Normal of the base surface to the UV and Normal of the target - in this case that means compressing to fit into the area of compressed isocurves.
If you make your target surface a trimmed more rectangularly arranged surface - it will all work better.

As Jeremy points out, some of your objects are extremely complicated.

-Pascal

Another thought. Your target surface folds back on itself and contains a couple of tight ripples. I think that the former certainly, and the latter probably, will cause problems with flow:

HTH
Jeremy