Having trouble adapting to the Mac version from PC

We sort of have that don’t we? A few ways, one with tapping spacebar and one with right-clicking and clicking again with right or left button over the last command. I personally prefer spacebar as my left hand is there anyway.

Crosshairs are not that important to me, not deal breaker for software use. Maybe something like Adobe using Caplock to change cursor from everyday to exact mode, to change cursor.

“sort of” is equivalent to “not at all” in this case.

incredibly inefficient.

If it is not the way you work , then I guess so.

But, me hitting my spacebar once = you right-clicking once , to repeat last command.

Subjective I guess.

I was also against having two different UI’s, but I also think it is a bold move IF it in the end results in a unified UI for both platforms that harvests the best of both worlds.

And I think a lot of the confusion is due to the same number, because when McNeel has to say:
“Rhino 5 for Mac is NOT the same as Rhino 5 for Windows” as there is an obvious confusion that could have been avoided if the mac version was labeled “Rhino for Mac v1”.

I use both mac and pc and the idea to have different ui’s on the adobe package would have been a deal breaker to me. Thus I don’t use the Mac for Rhino modelling as it is too ineffective for me to maintain dual fingerspitz control and remember what works where. BUT I welcome the change and I look forward to see how this unfolds.

1 Like

And you really think that will happen…? --Mitch

Well, I never thought Rhino would port to Mac, but it did…
And I know the future is what we make of it so I cross my fingers.
One thing is for sure though: McNeel isn’t mainstream :wink:

I think what most people here miss is that these Adobe apps were mostly created on the Mac first and then ported to Windows. After 20+ years for those apps, we have accepted that they ‘look’ the same. As someone who remembers when Photoshop 3 introduced layers and had to get a run time version of Windows 3.1, all 15 diskettes, to run PageMaker on a Radio-Shack color computer. These minor UI things are really not that bad to deal with.

You can customize the Mac UI to look almost like Windows. The commands are the same for both platforms, a sweep 2 rail is a Sweep two rail, Windows or mac.

I agree, you have a choice of platforms to use NOW, so if OSX doesn’t suit you, use Windows. They both get the job done. A tractor is a tractor, whether it is the blue one or the red one or the green one.

Happy Rhinoing all!!!

Thank … insert the omnipotent being of your choice here … !!!

Such optimism Holo, I like it.

Some interesting stats…

Windows Eval/Mac WIP downloads are 66%Windows /34% Mac

Only about 2% of the Mac users are also Rhino 5 Windows users.

3 Likes

heh… to me, the rightmousebutton is too bogged down as is even without a repeat option… context menu and navigation seems plenty.
(is there also a right click context menu on windows? so that plus navigation plus repeat command?)

but yeah, like randy, spacebar for repeat is good.

Interesting and positive.

All relevant previous points aside re the quality of present Windows, and Rhino history…creative types tend to gravitate towards Mac OS, and Rhino is, at its core, a creative application.

Yes.

Yes, right click = Enter, right click and hold allows a popup menu (the menu depends on the selection), and right click and drag = view manipulation.

-Pascal

right click is enter most of the time on mac too (during commands )… just not with the command repeat so it was probably left out intentionally. ?

i feel like i’d always (sometimes) repeat commands unintentionally… idk, i’d try it out if there was a way to turn it on.

that is interesting… considering:

I also hoped to have a 1:1 port on the Mac, but for the people following the development of the OsX version, it was cleared early on what the direction will be, so I stopped hoping for the 1:1. Pretty sure most Win users dislike the mac version, at least initially.
However, since most long term users model in full screen and script quite a lot, the UI is probably less important than scripting and command functionality. And for fresh users, adapting is probably much easier as they are not so bedded in their old routines.
Bob, if I recall from some of the posts from the dev forums, the intention was for the Mac version to attract the users from the Mac world that would normally not use the Win version because of its Windows-ness. As the Windows users already use it anyway. There is of course the odd crowd that was hoping to finally bury those pesky windows machines and pick a mac.
Well at least there is a mac version now. Myself, stuck with Windows only because of my beloved Rhino. Funnily booting it on a Mac that rarely sees osx booting. Personally I see/saw the Osx version crippled because of the interface, but I haven’t tried that in a long time I must admit. The win version I find superbly fluent as a precise modeling interface. This was one of the reasons I started using Rhino 17 years ago when it was above anything else as a Nurbs modeling platform, in my view. Would have been great to keep that tradition for the mac version, but I’m sure others find it fluent or better than win.
After all these years I ended up at the conclusion that I should focus more on getting the job done instead of complaining about hardware and software and try to put the pc away as soon as possible and live :slight_smile:
Windows sucks, but it sucks more to waste time complaining about it.

I think people will stop complaining once plugins start to appear in the Mac Version. GH, Vray etc. That is the only true reason why people still use the windows version not because of the “better” UI. I still do like the windows version more but that is because I haven’t really used the Mac Version as much.

1 Like

I agree!

Philip

I use the spacebar all the time… BUT I’d still like to have right-click-enter also!

Philip

You hit the nail on the head. This used to be me. Preference for familiarity is natural.

Want to bet…in time, there will be threads about - why can’t the Win versions do such and such like the Mac version…

Sure a 1:1 port would have squashed such, but in the end, perhaps what is considered the best of both may find its way into both, eventually.

And then there’s that moment that you hit the spacebar in InDesign because you want to repeat the last command :wink:

Or that time when you try to confirm something in a random app by right-clicking… Happens all the time!

1 Like