Hardware Solution - Xeon + Quadro vs. i7 + GeForce

Hello!

I am an architecture student who is almost finished school and is looking to purchase a new desktop that I can begin to use professionally. I have been running windows via bootcamp on a high spec macbook pro and have fried/ replaced almost every component in the machine over the past couple years. A new computer is in due, however, the more I read the more I am confused as to which would be the most optimal solution. Rhino and V-Ray are the primary pieces of software that I use.

In order to keep it as simple as possible I have listed my primary areas of concern and potential uses in the future.

Areas of concern:
-make2D, I often run very large models thorough this command taking days to complete
-rendering, I render with V-Ray quite often and would like this to be a quick as possible!

Potential future use:
-VR, I am very interested in using mindesk vr (or comparable software)
-rendered animations, I would like to start animating in Rhino and rendering them with V-Ray

These are the two computer specs I am considering:

Option no.1 “The Gamer”

Intel Core i7 8700 (6-Core, 12MB Cache, up to 4.6GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)
16GB, 2666MHz, DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5
or
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5
128GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

Option no.2 “The Budget Workstation”

Xeon E3-1240 v6 4C/3.7GHz/8MB/72W/DDR4-2400
1x16GB UDIMM DDR4-2400 Non-ECC
NVIDIA Quadro P2000 5GB
1x512GB SSD M.2 PCIe Opal

I apologize for contributing yet another “what computer should I get” post to the forum but am absolutely overwhelmed with reading Xeon vs Core + Quadro vs GeForce articles and opinions online. Any help is highly appreciated and other recommendations are welcome!

Thanks in advance.

I would forget the Quadro and go with the GTX. I think in the future you will need a fast GPU and VRAM. For the CPU -> Rhino needs GHz for single threads and Vray needs a good speed of all together. So, best you look at CPU benchmarks.

Sidenote: I use VfR2 all days, but started to use Enscape for Interiors. Here I’m happy that I bought a GTX1080ti. It’s a dream to get an interior in seconds in nearly Vray quality.

1 Like

For what it’s worth I’ve had nothing but trouble with Rhino 6 and my GeForce GTX card, but I have a laptop. Your mileage may vary with GTX in a desktop. Rhino 5 was smooth as silk. V6 not so much.

Dennis

Ocz i9 + quadro

Since the Rhino 6 display is so much faster I’m not sure about the benefit of a quadro card. For example I have a train exterior and it runs at 55fps (_testmaxspeed , GTX1080ti). Would I need more speed? :wink:

Well, since I’m one of the cofounders of Mindesk, I guess I’d be the appropriate person to reply :sweat_smile:

First of all: thanks a lot for the interest! I’m not sure about V-ray requirements, especially for some heavy usage, but I can tell you that Mindesk will run just fine even on a basic 1060: even with very large objects, it will keep a high frame rate without hiccups.
I’ve been using Mindesk on a Razer laptop with a GTX 1060 Mobile and an i7-7700HQ and 16Gb RAM, it goes steady as a missile even on fully detailed building or boat models.
However, the more power the merrier: if you can afford it, go for some higher spec card. If you can’t, you’d be doing just fine.

Same for the Quadro P5000 (that’s what I suppose you referred to, right?): it should work just fine since it’s VR-ready (this is important) and has enough oomph.

Hope it helps!

Vittorio