Gumball planes

Hello!
Warming up a topic that I adressed some years ago.
In a 3d viewport, the Gumball’s plane handles toggle on and off depending on the view angle, right? Select something, orbit around and watch.
The idea why the planes turn on and off is (or should be), that only those are visible that are most convenient to use, and do not overlap.
Yet this does not work too well. See screenshot (I changed the size of the planes - it’s not the default).

Sometimes the planes unnecessarily disappear completely, sometimes two overlapping planes are displayed.
Brush this up a little?
Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Reference which? post
https://discourse.mcneel.com/search?q=gumball%20user%3Aeugen%20order%3Alatest

There is a setting called “Plane visibility angle” that you can alter according to your taste. Mine is set to 50, but anything above 70 will force at least two planes to be shown all the time. You may like how it behaves at 80.

Rhino options > Modeling aids > Gumball > Plane visibility angle: 80

1 Like

Awww… missed that setting!
Thanks, that’s fair enough!
Best regards

1 Like

Wish: It would be best if Rhino 7 adds a separate option to set a different angle for Gumball plane for the XY-axis. For example, if the XY-axis is set to 80 degrees, while the XZ-axis and ZY-axis are set to 50 degrees, that will allow the modeler to see only the XY-axis plane’s icon most of the time while the camera is inclined at 45 degrees.
Currently, all 3 planes have a common angle setting for visibility, thus it’s quite difficult to use the XY-axis icon as the other two planes (XZ and ZY) hide it unless the camera is rotated the reverse way or point towards the ground plane at nearly vertical angle.

1 Like