Guitar builder looking for help

I’m using Rhino 6 and I am looking for someone to create toolpaths for various 3D guitar models I currently have to be used on my CNC. If anyone is interested please contact me.

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris,
I’m a guitarmaker and happy to help, but would rather see you become self sufficient.
Do you currently have CAM software?
Best,
Abraham

I do, I’m using Rhino 6/ Rhinocam (Mecsoft). I’ve been doing everything old school (pin router, templates, etc.). I’m new to the whole CNC world. You can check out my stuff at www.retroguitars.net

Hi Chris,
I also use RhinoCam. Have you made simple stuff like templates using 2 axis tools?
Have you tried any of the 3 axis tools?
Do you want to give this a try? I am no expert by a long shot but I have managed to hack my way through and MecSoft is super helpful if you need technical support too.
Best,
Abraham

Hi Chris,

I do a bit of digital fabrication consultation work and have been working with a luthier on custom violins. My Rhinocam knoowledge is pretty solid. Let me know if you’re still looking for someone.

Darcy

Darcy,

I am, you can also reach me at retroguitars@hotmail.com

Chris

I had bought one of Abraham Wechter’s guitars. I can vouch that he knows how to use Rhino to make Guitars : )

2 Likes

3 Likes

Very happy this thread happened.

For what it’s worth, programming 3d carving toolpaths in rhinoCAM is pretty easy to figure out, and MecSoft’s subscription tech support is worth any penny.

The harder part, as far as I can tell, is figuring out how to choose cutting directions, cut depths, and other techniques that produce high quality finishes in hardwoods and softwoods.

I don’t build guitars, but I may email some of he posters on this thread for advice about that. The advice on CAM forums is almost always wrong.

PS: @abrahamwechter I’ve seen Jonas Hellborg play one of your instruments in a small venue and my god that thing is amazing.

Hi Chris,

Don’t worry you’ll master the cam stuff quickly unfortunately it’s all a time investment.
Nice guitars on your website and wow you actually made one for Billy Gibbons of zz top one of the greats.
Did he play for you at your shop? His right hand is the secret weapon to his amazing sound.
Wishing you continued success,
RM

My friend Carl has a few of Mr. Wechter’s guitars wonderful sound and playability.
RM