Group manupulating - Extremely poor performance

Group manipulating is extremely lagy in latest WIP compared to Windows version
(beachball is not recorded)

Is the Windows version you used for comparison also on the same Mac hardware but through a bootcamp partition? Or is it a separate Windows machine? I’m wondering what the graphics card differences are between them.

If it’s possible, please upload the model or a portion of it that shows the problem to www.rhino3d.com/upload to my attention. I’d like to take a look in both Rhino for Mac and Rhino for Windows.

uploaded

Thanks, I am actually seeing the Rhino for Mac display update faster here in about half the time of Windows Rhino. Can you post the OSX version info as well as your Mac hardware specs? You can find this information in the Rhinoceros menu>About Rhinoceros>More Info

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.0 WIP (5A814w)
IronPython version: 5.1.2015.131
Language: en (MacOS default)
OS X version: Version 10.10.3 (Build 14D136)

Plug-ins
/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Default Folder X Addition.osax/Contents/MacOS/Default Folder X Addition
/Users/mliko/Library/PreferencePanes/Default Folder X.prefPane/Contents/Resources/Default Folder X.bundle/Contents/Resources/Cocoa Patcher.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Cocoa Patcher

Third party kernel extensions
at.obdev.nke.LittleSnitch (4240)
com.karios.driver.DuetDisplay (1)
com.logmein.hamachi (1.0)

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: iMac11,1
Processor: Intel Core i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz
Memory: 12 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB
Memory: 512 MB
Screen size: 2560 x 1440, 1200 x 1600
Displays: iMac (109dpi 1x), SyncMaster (98dpi 1x)

USB devices
Apple Computer, Inc.: IR Receiver
Apple Inc.: Built-in iSight
Logitech: USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse
Apple, Inc: Apple Keyboard
Tablet: PTK-840
Apple: Internal Memory Card Reader
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Bluetooth devices
Apple: Apple Wireless Trackpad

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 ATI-10.0.31
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 8192 x 8192
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 8192 x 8192

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: No

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 0x
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: None

WIN:

OS X:

Can you try the latest Rhino for Mac here please?
http://www.rhino3d.com/download/rhino-for-mac/5/evaluation

problem still persist in RC1 - Clean install with trashing all preferences. Confirmed on rMPB 15 2014

Thanks for checking. This is getting stranger here. I was seeing a delay in Windows Rhino when moving the group in your model but as soon as I disabled the loading of Vray and restarted there was no delay at all. I saved a new version of the file and tried that on Mac and it was still delayed by a couple seconds but nothing like what you show.

Are you seeing this issue with any other files specifically ones you can share publicly here? I’d like to know if anyone else sees the same issue. I am not seeing the length of the delay you are at all currently and since there aren’t any plugins to disable on the Mac side, I’m stumped as to why Vray is involved at all here in my Windows Rhino. Did you ever use Vray on the file in Windows?

I never use vray in Rhino5. Can be this “multiple entities manipulation lag” related to memory leak? Activity monitor shows Rhino using 21 Gigs of memory.

I 'll upload discussed file later today.

Thanks, I’ve asked @dan to take a look as well. I’m not sure why you’re experiencing this display lag. Please post any public files that show the issue too. There are lots of experts here and they might spot something I missed.

open file - maximize top - select floorplan group - change layer/or linetype in properties. Undo/redo Cca 8-11sec lag on rMBP 15 2014
example.3dm (3.4 MB)

rMBP 15 2014 Rhino3D RC1

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.0 (5A851)
IronPython version: 5.1.2015.131
Language: en (MacOS default)
OS X version: Version 10.10.3 (Build 14D136)

Plug-ins
/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Default Folder X Addition.osax/Contents/MacOS/Default Folder X Addition
/Users/mliko/Library/PreferencePanes/Default Folder X.prefPane/Contents/Resources/Default Folder X.bundle/Contents/Resources/Cocoa Patcher.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Cocoa Patcher

Third party kernel extensions
at.obdev.nke.LittleSnitch (4240)
com.logmein.hamachi (1.0)

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: MacBookPro11,2
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770HQ CPU @ 2.20GHz
Memory: 16 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
Memory: 1536 MB
Screen size: 1680 x 1050
Displays: Color LCD (258dpi 2x)

USB devices
Apple: Internal Memory Card Reader
Apple Inc.: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Bluetooth devices
None

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 INTEL-10.6.20
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: No

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 0x
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: None

bump

Replied in Rhino for Mac, hanging with spinning wheel as well. This is a hard one to figure out until it can be reproduced on a developer’s machine. Thanks for any extra info that may present a pattern on your end. At the moment it’s a mystery here but still on the radar.

@dan @marlin FYI

I found an issue when dragging thousands of objects that is aggravated when having one or more object properties panels open. The fix for this will be in the next Rhino WIP and will get added to the commercial release soon.