Rhino for Mac severe performance issues

Hi all,

I’m posting my issue at the behest of McNeel technical support in relation to long list of problems I’ve been having moving over from Windows Rhino to Mac [Version 6 (6.16.19205.01052, 2019-07-24).]

One of the most serious of these issues is performance. Current specs:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)

2.9 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Intel HD Graphics 530:

Radeon Pro 460:
Chipset Model: AMD Radeon Pro 460
ROM Revision: 113-C980AF-908
VBIOS Version: 113-C9801AU-029
EFI Driver Version: 01.A0.908
gMux Version: 4.0.29 [3.2.8]

Currently there’s serious lag when run 2D files around 20MB. If I start working on proper 100MB 3D files my laptop struggles to even spin the model. The performance lags behind even a 7 year old Windows desktop without any graphics card I use in emergencies.

I also get tearing of textures and a weird moire pattern over even the default material.

Have other people seen a serious drop in performance? To be frank, I’m finding this incarnation of Rhino rather unusable, but I think solving this is a start.

Did you send one of your files to tech support that illustrates the problem?

Please try the 6.17 release candidate. There are several performance optimizations that have been made as pointed out in this post.

Thanks Steve, I was actually invited to the Rhino 7 WIP and am planning on downloading later - Would this also be a viable option which incorporates these performance optimisations?

Yes, the optimizations in 6.17 are also in the the V7 WIP

I appreciate that it’s good practice and I promise I always do whenever I’ve had a problem with Windows Rhino!

However the actual list of technical issues I was having was so long and across multiple files that I feel it wouldn’t have been able to narrow it down (I did send screen shots though).

There’s also an NDA issue to consider from the Client unfortunately.

Many thanks - will try and get back to you with the results

Yes, I also find v6 to be overall slower on the same model than v5 on Mac and much slower than v6 on Windows, all on the same machine. This mainly relates to panning, orbiting, zooming etc.