Grid, center and orientation

Hi everyone,
I am seeking for a help again for beginner’s level grasshopper questions.
I am aiming to make columns in a limited frame by using grid.

1. First question, how do you change the starting point of your grid from one corner of the surface to the other corner without rotating the surface? (When I make the grid from the surface I created, it automatically starts from the left top corner. )

2. Also how do you generate planesurface using the points as a center of the geometry?

3. Open question: Is there any other smarter way one can create columns and beams by using grid? What if I want to change the distance between two grids at certain point?

Grid and columns.gh (11.6 KB) grid and columns.3dm (4.1 MB)

Thank you for your help in advance. :slight_smile:

Your Srf param refers to two surfaces but only one exists:

RecGrid ‘P’ wants a plane, not a surface.

Grid and columns_2021Jan22a.gh (11.2 KB)

P.S.

Use a domain with expressions “-x/2” on ‘A’ and “x/2” on ‘B’:

Grid and columns_2021Jan22b.gh (9.4 KB)

You’ll have to move specific points (or columns) after the fact.

1 Like

You are such a hero! Thank you so much! So is Cleantree here to make a plane form a surface? Hmm…

Could you please tell me how I should flip the direction of the grid? Is it not possible to make grasshopper to start the grid from the right end of the corner and to grow toward left top?

RecGrid ‘Ex’ and ‘Ey’ values cannot be negative.

What is your purpose/goal in doing that? You can do many things to flip/reverse/flatten the list of grid points if that helps?

Grid and columns_2021Jan22c.gh (9.2 KB)

1 Like

It is because I am making it for a renovation project, and the existing buildings are located on the right side of the plane, and we are planning to build new on the left side. So the y axis on theright side is fixed and the left side is rather free. :slight_smile:
Thank you so much for posting the edited script again! I was trying by myself to make the same as you did but just could not manage… Many thanks!

Sorry to keep bother you, but I tried the script you wrote with flip and reverse, which does not do anything in my screen… Do you possibly know why?

flip.3dm (4.4 MB)

I don’t understand how that makes any difference? Of more concern, I would think, is making sure the columns are all within the perimeter boundary instead of half outside as many are now. This will require care about the building dimensions, column spacing and possibly moving the whole grid of points slightly, by half a column width horizontally and/or vertically. Maybe centering them on the points was not the best idea?

It looks like you are still using 6 as the point index for List Item instead of 3. The code I posted works, use it!

P.S. I still don’t understand your left/right constraints but you could mirror the building perimeter so the short edge is on the right instead of left, get your columns and then mirror everything back as it was.

Rather extreme and a little ridiculous but outside the box, eh? I’m not a fan of working far from the origin and using small units (millimeters or inches) that result in large dimension values.

Here is a way to move the grid reference point (and thereby the whole grid) so the lower left column is aligned with the perimeter. Then I adjusted the RecGrid ‘Sx’ and ‘Sy’ values slightly so the columns are also aligned with the right and top edges of the building perimeter.

Grid and columns_2021Jan22d.gh (17.5 KB)

1 Like

OK, maybe this is what you wanted all along? The white group calculates the RecGrid ‘Sx’ and ‘Sy’ values based on the two longest building edge lengths (X and Y dimensions). Changing column size adjusts everything nicely.

Grid and columns_2021Jan22e.gh (20.2 KB)

1 Like

Wow that is another way of solving the problem… I hope I come along to this level one day. This is amazing! Thank you so much for your time!

I can see that by doing ‘flip’ the number starts from either the left corner or the right corner. This is useful to know!

Well, what Flip Matrix is doing is a little more complicated than it may seem. To see it, examine the input and output with text panels or by connecting Point List to Project, then to Flip Matrix.

Study that version ‘e’ code and you’ll be there today! :sunglasses: It’s not that complicated.

1 Like