Grasshopper performance issues!

Hello,

Today, I have recently noticed that my Grasshopper has been acting a bit strange. There seems to be a lag or slight freeze whenever I try to move and pan around the canvas. There are not a lot of components on the canvas that should be delaying the movement. Another instance is when I try to select a component and move it. The same freeze or lag happens and about a second later it will move. I have also noticed this when bringing new components into the canvas. It will almost seem like the computer is thinking and processing something when there has been nothing to process. My profiler indicates that its processing and taking a bit of time to compute. Attached is a screenshot of the profiler on a basic component in solitude.

My computer is about a year old and has ran a lot of heavier (much heavier) programs and Grasshopper codes. I have a Razer Blade 15 2018.

Below are my specs:

Rhino
Version 6 SR16
(6.16.19190.7001, 07/09/2019)

Grasshopper v1.0.0007

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Intel® Core™ i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHZ

Hybrid graphics system.
Primary display: Intel® UHD Graphics 630 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 2-28-2018 (M-D-Y).
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with Max-Q Design (NVidia) Memory: 6GB, Driver date: 2-24-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 442.50

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 2-24-2020
Driver Version: 26.21.14.4250
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 6 GB

You seems to have a large number of plug-ins active.

Open a new rhino and then open grasshopper with the “GrasshopperLoadOneByOne” command.
Avoid any non-native plug-in and see if the problem persist.

Hi, maje90.

Thank you for replying. I have denied all my non-native plugins to load. However, the profiler still displays quite a large runtime with only one component on the canvas. For example, I included a basic component like cross reference and it displays 15ms.

What if you recompute your solution (from solution menu or by pressing F5)? Doesn’t the Profiler disappear? I guess 15ms is completely normal for the first time you put the component on the canvas.

This happens when geometry is very far away from the origin. With no model posted, I can’t tell if this applies to you?

Hello Mahdlyar,

Thanks for replying. Yes, it went away when I recomputed it. However, if I delete that component and bring a new component in, for example, series, it will also show a high run time like 15ms. Then Ill delete in and the profiler disappears.

Hello, Joseph_Oster,

Thanks for replying!

So far there is nothing modeled in Rhino. I start Grasshopper as soon as I run Rhino. And the first thing I do is to bring a basic component like Series and it will have a high runtime.

2020-03-24 14_24_34-Window
High runtime for the first component means nothing… it happens to me, too.
(And we are still talking about 19 milliseconds)

But if I do a simple right-click > Recompute even that time disappear.

This

is a different matter.

Is that “lag” present even with all the plugins disabled?

1 Like

As I mentioned before it’s completely normal.

You can check your canvas redraw speed:
FrameRate
Anything faster than 40 frames/seconds seems to be good.

1 Like