Grasshopper is not referencing polysurface or brep

Hi, I’m trying to use a script that reads a surface and projects a triangular grid onto it, however the surface that Im using wont be read by grasshopper, I’ve booleaned them together and joined them and rhino reads it as a singular surface but grasshopper simply doesn’t? and refuses to allow me to put it in the script.
I’ve tried referencing it as a brep but the script components don’t like that either, anyone got any answers on this?
thanks
attached is the file with the surface and the script
surface.3dm (802.4 KB)
triangulation.gh (3.2 KB)

Well it’s a polysurface in your 3dm file, which is why you cannot reference it using a Surface parameter. However it looks like it could be simplified into a single surface, and a somewhat cleaner one at that.

If you _Explode your polysurface and use the _What command on the resulting four surfaces, you can see that they are all trimmed. This complicates merging them into a single surface. How did you make them?

yes I’ve been struggling to work out how to permanently delete the trimmed data and I cant find any solutions so maybe if you have any advice on that I could kill two birds with one stone, the surfaces are a cliff edges that i scale1D vertically, and I’m attempting translate them into an equilateral triangle grid

Provided the trims are exactly along the iso-curve directions, they can be cut off permanently. You can use the _Split command with the option Shrink=Yes and Isocurve to really cut off part of a surface. But you’ll see that your current trims are not parallel to the underlying uv space.

I’ve ran _Explode, _Untrim, _MergeSrf, _Rebuild on your surface and it gives me the following result: surface_untrimmed_merged.3dm (497.2 KB)

You’ve lost your trimming edges now, but maybe your GH script can handle single surfaces with trims.

thanks for your help, I really need the original surface shapes though, is there no way to retain those forms and still input them into grasshopper?

I doubt it, not without a massive redesign of the algorithm in that file. A surface has a single uv domain that is contiguous and smooth. A polysurface is made up of separate patches. They’re mathematically completely different types of geometry. However if you skip the _Rebuild step, then the merged surface should have a similar shape to your original polysurface. You just have to retrim the edges.

I have worked in rhino 6, using ladybug for radiation analysis and the brep is showing error like a reference brep couldn’t be find the rhino document,could you please help, I’ll share rhino file and the grasshopper script, Thanks in advance. 003 Radiation Analysis.gh (405.9 KB)
Choosen floor_2.3dm (16.5 MB)

Hi -

For questions related to the ladybug tools, please visit https://discourse.ladybug.tools/

That said, I don’t have ladybug installed here (and the legacy version doesn’t work on Mac anyway) but …

Opening both your 3dm file and the gh file, I notice that the Brep are not referencing geometry in the Rhino document.

Is that what you are referring to?
-wim

Yes, it’s showing referencing geometry, what to do?,…how to finish the analysing if brep is not finding 3d in rhino?

For this rhino file, I used Revit to make 3d model and exported it to AutoCAD 3d model and then imported in rhino, is this issue because of that, and I also made outer wall only in rhino still brep is not working, I’ll share the rhino fileChoosen floor fin.3dm (70.1 KB)

Hi -

I’m sorry if I am misunderstanding the issue…
You need to manually assign objects in the Rhino model to the components in Grasshopper. There is nothing that will automatically know which objects should be referenced by which component.

You have to right-click a Brep component and pick Set one Brep or Set Multiple Brepsand then select the object(s) in the Rhino viewport.

That is a very basic workflow in Grasshopper and should be completely understood before starting to work with complex plug-ins like the ladybug tools.
-wim

I did assign also, but the issue is getting green and working and after that it’s full crashed the file is not even working after I assigned brep, it’s not responding and it’s been happening all time, it got hung more than 2 hours also, not working after I assigned the brep in 3d

Hi -
Please run the Rhino SystemInfo command and copy-paste the result here.
-wim

I attached the system info here, have you tried working brep in my model?, Is that working in your system properly?

Hi -

It looks like you are running an ancient version of Rhino 6.
I’d try that again with a current and licensed 6.35.
-wim

Thank you

Did you try in your rhino?, it’s worked?

Like I wrote further up, the legacy version of the ladybug tools doesn’t work on Mac, which is what I’m currently stuck with.

If you both (1) are running a current version of Rhino (I don’t see any evidence in our system of you having downloaded and validated anything, so I doubt that), and (2) have now referenced Rhino geometry in the Brep components and it is still not working, please visit the Ladybug Tools forum that I linked to in my first post. On that forum, you will need to spend some time reading the forum guidelines and search for similar posts as your question because you won’t be able to attach files until you have spent some time reading some threads.
-wim