Gradient materials with grasshopper - vray

Hi there!

I was wondering if there is any way to do a gradient from a material to other in vray for grasshopper such as the image:
2020-04-28_14-31-43

Not sure if this is what you’re after, but there’s a script in this thread that will turn a gradient into a bitmap: Human - Gradient on 3D View

1 Like

Instead of making gradients with rhino coloring, make those gradients with vray materials in grasshopper

you can do that with the technique I am proposing. Do you want one V-ray material with a gradient? or do you want a thousand different v-ray materials of differing shades?

Don’t know about Vray, but Cycles supports vertex colours materials. So if you turn the Breps into meshes you can recolour them using the ramps/gradients.

I want to go from a light green to a light orange gradient, but it need to be translucent, thats why i dont know if it will work with bitmap material, but surely it would with vray mat.

wow man, this cycles thing was greek for me, i dont know what it is. What it is this?

so does V-Ray

Hi Leonardo -

Cycles is the render engine that is used in Rhino 6 for the Raytraced display mode and that is the main render engine in Rhino 7. That same engine is also used in Blender.
-wim

1 Like

nice! i did some research and found out about other options on the market as octane and evee… what made you guys opt for the cycles and not a fully 3d render? Just curious to see the opinion of developers upon this

Hi Leonardo -

I’m sure @nathanletwory can tell you more about this…

I’m not sure what that means, though.
-wim

Cycles is an actively developed, open source renderer with a license that fits our needs (Apache 2). I happen to have been involved with Blender development since 2003, so there’s that too. I don’t see how Cycles is not a fully 3d render engine.

Also, Octane and EEVEE can’t be compared between each other, EEVEE is a pure OpenGL renderer, Octane and Cycles are not. EEVEE can’t be integrated into Rhino because it has incompatible licensing (GPL).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrF4k6wJ-do Here he explains why those normal renders arent fully 3d and more of a hack. You can skip for the video end if want the long story short.