GPU rendering

In the last few additions of Rhino WIP I cannot use my GPU for rendering. The rendering process stops after 1st sample and the final result is just a black screen. My sys:

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (NVidia) Memory: 2GB, Driver date: 3-17-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 445.75

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 3-17-2020
Driver Version: 26.21.14.4575
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 2 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.0.20098.14255
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.0.20098.14255
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.0.20098.14255
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.0.20098.14255
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.0.20098.14255
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7 WIP\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

I don’t think your GPU is new enough to support this, nevermind actually be usably fast.

GTX 660 is based on Kepler architecture which should still work.

@marcinkwidzinski does this error happen with say just a box?

Yes, it happen regardless the 3D object

My GPU can handle rendering job in Rhino 5 without any issues. Also I was able to use my GPU in Rhino WIP just few weeks after initial release. Just few updates later it stopped working

Have you verified Raytraced works with your CPU?

why would I need Raytrace to work with my CPU/GPU?

You don’t specifically need Raytraced. In Rhino WIP what is called Rhino Render is now driven by the same engine as Raytraced: Cycles. To use the GPU with Rhino Render/Raytraced you need a supported GPU. In Rhino WIP the AMD GPUs are currently not supported.

Have you tested if Rhino Render works better when you set under Tools > Options > Cycles or Preferences > Cycles the render device to CPU ?

I’ve tested the ‘Legacy Render’ both on CPU and GPU and there are no problems at all. Both work just fine.

Right, but legacy render is the old renderer that was used in V6.

It is. is it not what you asked for? I tested the new renderer in Rhino wip and it works fine on cpu but not on gpu

I asked Rhino Render, not legacy :slight_smile: But good to hear that at least it works with CPU. Also CUDA is not supported on Mac, which I only realized now. And that is because it is very hard to get CUDA working on a recen machine. At least no one in our office has been able to get the one Nvidia Mac machine working with CUDA - the drivers just won’t install. And since it is such a pain to get going CUDA is supposed to be disabled. Not sure how you managed to select the CUDA device to begin with, that is supposed to be not even compiled in. D:

I have to admit that I dont know how i could have selected GPU renderer on Mac since i dont even have a single Mac machine :wink:

Meh, I’m cross-reading two threads that have kind of same info. Sorry (:

1 Like

hi nathan,
i’ve not understood if is possible the gpu rendering in cycles inside rhino for mac.
i have a ge force 1080 ti installed on my mac pro that works fine with octane render but is not recognized by rhino mac cycles.
it’s possible to use the new mac pro with cuda for gpu rendering in cycles rhino for mac?
thanks,
roy

Sorry but I thought the new Mac pros only came with amd cards, how are you gonna use Cuda without nvidia cards?

I have no access to a functioning Mac with CUDA support. We do have one Mac with an Nvidia GPU in, but despite all efforts we were not able to install CUDA on it. As a result I have not been able to enable or test CUDA GPU support on the Mac for Raytraced.

No idea what the new Mac Pro is, or what its specs are. But the same holds - as long as I don’t have a way to verify CUDA works I cannot enable it.

hi josé,
of course not.
i’m using nvidia drivers with nvidia card that works fine with octane render for modo in osx high sierra but not in rhino for mac.
my second question was about the new mac pro with amd card and cuda drivers to know if this configuration support cycles in rhino for mac,
roy

I have been unable to install CUDA drivers on Catalina.

hi nathan,
i did’nt understood.
do you mean that cycles in rhino mac support cuda drivers but not under osx catalina, now?
thanks,
roy