Goodbye RhinoWIP for Rhino 5 for Mac

:smile: It actually sounds really optimistic and happy to me! We’re working on it! YT issues aside, it still does not feel ready at all…though there are some areas that are really cool already.

PS: I’m glad you’re stoked.

1 Like

Is my memory correct…that the groundwork is being laid now so that the V7 Win/Mac releases can more closely coincide. Or did I dream that?

1 Like

Well, perhaps not so much anymore… but I’ll get over it.
Anyway, like we say in Finland: työn iloa! :+1:

Philip

1 Like

We are working toward that goal, yes. Over the past couple of years, we’ve devote a lot of energy toward this goal. As usual, we don’t have a timeline. Co-shipping could come earlier, it could come later.

1 Like

Hello Dan,

I followed the link for the WIP of Rhino 5 for mac to play with the paneling tools under grasshopper, but it basically makes me download the last production release which does not seem to have that in there.

This is the version I have 5.4.1 (5E409)

Am I missing something?

Thank you for the help.

Follow the WIP instructions for 5.4.1

1 Like

You’re a star!

thank you!

Check this out. Not exactly RhinoCAM but can be useful for you:

1 Like

Looks like its for windows…

Does that mean that you have tried to install this in Grasshopper on a Mac and it didn’t work?

Go to File/Special Folders/User Objects

Drag there the “Bark beetle components” folder from the .zip archive you downloaded from github.

Install the “Clipper for Grasshopper and Rhino” from:

Rename “clipper-022.rhi” to “clipper-022.zip”. Open the .zip file and drag the content into your Special Folders/Components Folder.

Restart Rhino.

A post was split to a new topic: Issues flipping directions on two curves both

Hey,

thank you for the update and the hard work you guys are putting in!

Is there a more elaborate list of features (PlugIn-compatibility, performance etc.) we can expect in Rhino 6 for Mac?

Greetings from Vienna,

Rudi

Hi Rudi-

Thanks for the kind words. We wish we had a public RhinoWIP ready for people to test, but we are just not there yet, I’m afraid. We are indeed working hard on it and I feel like the project is getting more mindshare and attention as Rhino 6 for Window stabilizes (there have been a couple critical issues on Windows that we hope are not resolved). Back to Mac…

We do not have a more elaborate list.

For Rhino 6 for Mac, we are working toward feature parity with Rhino 6 for Windows. So, what you find in Rhino 6 for Windows, we hope to have in Rhino 6 for Mac (eventually). However, complete feature parity will not prevent us from publishing RhinoWIP for you to test.

Performance is a broad category. Display performance? Rhino 6 for Mac’s display pipeline is really Rhino 6 for Window’s display pipeline (in that subsystem, nearly the same code-paths are executed on both platforms) so you should see the quality and speed improvements on Mac that you see on Windows. Make2D performance? That’s a lot faster than Rhino 5 for Mac. But again, we need to get it in front of you to test.

As for plugin compatibility: We plan to continue to support third-party plugin developers who use RhinoCommon. That was our focus for Rhino 5 for Mac and that will not change for Rhino 6 for Mac. Do you have a specific plugin that you are concerned about?

Currently, we’re trying to balance the concerns of wanting very much to get a RhinoWIP in front of users and making it stable and usable enough that you don’t get frustrated and loose interest. I can tell you today that it still does not feel ready.

-Dan

2 Likes

First of all, thank you Dan for the reply!

This sounds great! I am really looking forward for the WIP and hopefully being able to support the development a bit.

I was thinking specifically about Grasshopper performance - responsiveness of the UI (especially in fullscreen) and speed of the calculation of a script.

As far as the PlugIns are concerned, I am for example currently using Karamba3D and EvoluteTools which are apparently not available for Rhino for Mac.

Greetings, Rudi

p.s.: props for implementing the multi-touch panning with the TrackPad for gh. Very useful when you are shortly checking some things on the go :slight_smile:

I do not anticipate the responsiveness of the UI to change/improve much over the course of Grasshopper (1). We are porting the Grasshopper (1) for Windows code over to Mac and I know that - when definitions get quite large - there are slowdowns when redrawing the definition to the screen. That said, if there are demonstrable instances where a specific definition is much faster to draw in Grasshopper for Windows than Grasshopper for Mac, we would like to know about it.

and speed of the calculation of a script.

This may improve in some cases. Late in the development of Grasshopper for Windows, we introduced some multi-threaded components. We intend to port these changes to Grasshopper for Mac, but we just haven’t gotten there quite yet.

As far as the PlugIns are concerned, I am for example currently using Karamba3D and EvoluteTools which are apparently not available for Rhino for Mac.

This is up to the third-party developer of those plugins. We’d be happy to support their efforts to migrate those components to Grasshopper for Mac. In some cases, it is quite easy; in other cases it can be quite involved if there are many Windows dependencies.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Embarrassingly checking this youtrack list religiously when I get to work. Our Seattle office lives in Mac Rhino. We’ll be stoked for the update :ok_hand:.

2 Likes

Glad I’m not the only one. I get all excited when the list gets down to under five projects under stop-ship status.
Thats the moment when a bunch of more items are added to the stop-ship pile, killing my enthusiasm. :grinning:

Can’t wait to take the new beta for a spin when it is ready.:+1:

3 Likes

Cue for playing “The Circle of Life” by misters John and Rice.

2 Likes