Good Measure for Max Amount of Curves?

i have a file containing one million simple circles and 37 simple square curves partially grouped. i tried making 2 million but the million in the one square curve does not select anymore at least visually, keeping me from copying this once more at least visually it does not select though it says selected. all viewport actions are getting very slow, once selected it gets basically unworkable.

also the file is 466mb large even after saving small, geometry only, no texture, i have more than 400mb, after zipping it still 40mb remain, so the geometric compression also does not work at all here i would say.

is that something that could be improved or is that just too utopic? i cant remember when i worked with heavy files how many objects i actually had but i have the feeling this should still be possible?

when i open it in v7 it feels slightly better, its still not great but it visually selects the million and lets my copy it with some patience.

here the file (wetransfer 40mb compressed)

would working with blocks help here?

i am using a Mac Studio M1 Ultra with 64 gb

Yeah, it’s pretty unusable on my five year old Windows laptop here which has a 4Gb Quadro, trying to do anything just gets me the spinning wheel, and sometimes the entire screen flashes black momentarily. That has to be display related, so I’m not sure blocks would help for that - but they should for file size.

On my workstation which is only two years old with an RTX 3060 12Gb, I can manipulate the view (slowly) and it will actually execute something like moving all 1 million circles - but it takes a long time, you can practically go get a coffee and come back…

Haven’t tried on the Mac yet.

On my M2 Max with 64GB it is not too bad. It is bogged down when SilhouetteHighlighting advanced setting is enabled. Check to see if you have this turned on

Looks like having them 1000001 curves have rhino memory consumption up to 14GB on my M2

Copying them adds ~5 GB RAM usage. Copying probably took some 30 seconds? Less then a minute I think, but that is just based on feeling - I didn’t actually time that.

No doubt this is straining the resources quite a bit.

Edit: After that trying to do an -Array with X=3 and Y=3 will fail with crashing Rhino because the OS just simple doesn’t have large enough contiguos free memory to allocate. The RAM is obviously shared between the CPU and GPU so that’s a bit like double memory usage :slight_smile: No doubt something like this would eventually fail on Windows too.

Kernel Triage:
VM - (arg = 0x3) mach_vm_allocate_kernel failed within call to vm_map_enter