Get Window Opening Cut profile from Revit

Hi,
I want to extract the opening cut profile from the placed window families instances in my model, but I can’t seem to find the way to do that with Rhino.Inside.

I managed to extract the curtain grid cells boundary profiles, which is great, and I’m trying to obtain something similar querying windows and doors openings.
What I’m trying to do is to extract all glazed openings from a detailed linked model and project them to raw mass shapes to generate the energy model of the link.

could you show an image of your revit model or a typical wall with a window opening?

On the Openings Guide page there are a series of Python components that allow the openings to be found. Give them a try:

https://www.rhino3d.com/inside/revit/beta/guides/revit-openings

These are prototype components, so they need to be installed separately by copying the files to the correct directory.

@marcellojs
I am trying to extract the wall opening cut that you define in the window family basically.

@scottd
Yes I did try those components but they seem to read only the wall openngs defined into the project file, while they don’t read the opening cuts that come with the window / door family.
Reading other forums, seems tricky to isolate the opening cuts from the family instances placed in the project and I could only find some walkarounds to get these. At the moment I’m using a bounding box around the window frame geometry generated with GH, but this wouldn’t work for windows that are not rectangular, so I’m still wondering whether there is a way to extract the opening cut.

I’m unable to found API in Revit to directly do this, but a geometrical approach like this below should work.
Extract-WindowProfie.gh (19.6 KB)

2 Likes

Smart. Thank you @kike, I’ll use this approach. I may need to tweak it a little bit to take into account full height window sliders where the rebate ends up being below the wall base usually, but I think is workable

Hi Emanuele, did you find a solution for your specific problem? I’m working on something similar but I did not find different solutions from the “rectangular” approach.

Hi Angelo,
No never managed to extract the opening cut from the family. I’ve implemented a simple bounding box method (box around the window/door family) because not always the families are that clean to use the full method kike suggested. But yes, works only for rectangular openings. With a clean model you can try kike’s method and get other geometries.
It was some time ago, not sure if now there are new components to avoid the walkaround, worth having a look.

Cheers,
E.

Hi @massafra.angelo95,

The sample above is able to extract the window boundary, no only from a rectangular window but from other kind of windows as well.

One case this approach will not work is if the instance is not completly surrounded by the host. This may happen if the windows is placed near the borders of the wall profile.

The window in the sample has an arc at top, that is correctly extracted from the window instance.

Have in mind that extracting directly the cut profile from the family, would give you a profile that is not shaped acording the type parameters.

Do you have an other case where this is not working?

Hi @kike,

Many thanks for your answer.

I confirm you solution works also on different window shapes.

I was just looking to do this with revit API and found a perfect alternative solution here. Thank you!

Not directly linked to this, but I was quite surprised to discover that Gh on Rhino inside can take a graphic element and is capable of extracting a plane from the element automatically! what a surprise!

If you like surprises see what a View will cast to :slight_smile:
Plane
Surface
Material

Perhaps Camera in the future…

We are looking to improve the availability of this cast information, maybe even a component that will provide a list of possibilities.

Thank you for more suprises, Japhy!

Sounds great, looking forward to the improvement to learn all things about it!