Geodesic dome

Hi,

I would to ask if someone did 3d model of geodesic dome?

Which polyhedron it points to?
Any help regarding modelling of it would be much appreciated.

You can also use ggGeoDome from BullAnt.

1 Like

All you need is here (Bono’s classic stuff: read the maths then write a proper C# [ don’t forget to do the connectivity trees AND the required checks for clash in sleeves etc etc - for real-life stuff, that is] ):

http://www.antiprism.com/other/dome/

Plus:

https://www.grasshopper3d.com/forum/topics/help-geodesci-dome-beginner-grasshopper

Plus:

Get an indicative hint upon how to mastermind variable planar glazing mounts for doing a very expensive dome envelope (if the client is very rich, that is, he he) provited that the LBS is done the classic way (MERO KK and the likes).

Truss_MERO_Detail_Planar_V1.3dm (94.9 KB) Truss_MERO_Detail_Planar_V1.gh (123.6 KB)

2 Likes

Thank you all for the answers, it helps a lot.

I would like to ask general question about geodesic domes.

Do cells- triangles or triangle lines are the same size, or geodesic domes does not have this property of equal elements?

Screenshots below measure area and lengths which are different. I know I am using a bit different example that you posted, but does geodesic dome cells have equal elements?
First I was thinking that it must, since it is a triangle subdivided n times, but after simple measuring I am confused.

Question.gh (12.8 KB)

Some types have equal edges , some not: play with Bono’s exe.

Have a look at the image on the wikipedia page that @Mahdiyar put a link to. The edges of the icosahedron are equal length when they’ve been subdivided. But when you project those edges onto a sphere you obviously get different lengths, since there’s different distances between the surface of the sphere and each of those edges. So you’ll get a few different lengths of edges but not each one is unique.

Well … assuming that a Dome is a convex Topology due to a collection of connected straight edges in triangles or quads (BTW: I would strongly advise to play with Bono’s stuff):

Some popular domes are based on an icosahedron, where the triangular faces are subdivided into smaller triangles. An icosahedron has twenty faces , each of which is an equilateral triangle and therefore … blah, blah.

That said Domes are divided in classes known as 1V, 2V, 3V, 4V …

A 1V Dome has fewer triangles, uses only one size triangle in its simple pattern meaning that it less closely approximates portions of a sphere ( hemisphere or other). A 6V Dome has many triangles of multiple sizes that are arranged in a complex (more or less) pattern to create a more smooth and spherical shape.

1 Like

Thanks, bono.exe works really nice.

If someone would like to test bono this is macro to import mesh object from dxf, the bono folder must be placed in c drive:

private void RunScript(object x, object y, ref object A)
  {

//Run command line
    var proc = new System.Diagnostics.Process {
        StartInfo = new System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo {
          FileName = @"C:\bono\dome.exe",
          Arguments = "dome -f10  myfile.dxf",
          UseShellExecute = false,
          RedirectStandardOutput = true,
          CreateNoWindow = true,
          WorkingDirectory = @"C:\bono\"
          }
        };

proc.Start();

//Import DXF
    string command = "-_Import " + @"C:\bono\myfile.dxf" + " _Enter";
    Rhino.RhinoApp.RunScript(command, false);

//Find Last Mesh
    var rhobjs = Rhino.RhinoDoc.ActiveDoc.Objects.GetObjectList(Rhino.DocObjects.ObjectType.Mesh);
    var l = rhobjs.Last();
    Rhino.DocObjects.MeshObject last = (Rhino.DocObjects.MeshObject) l;
    Mesh mesh = last.GetMeshes(MeshType.Default)[0];

//Delete last object because it is in Grasshopper
    Rhino.RhinoDoc.ActiveDoc.Objects.Delete(l.Id, false);
    Rhino.RhinoDoc.ActiveDoc.Views.Redraw();
    A = mesh;

}

Well … appears that the heat is on on that dome matter: keep going.

Tip: It would be paramount a classification of the edges (acc 1V … 6V etc) in order to control a more challenging dome base layout (I hate the “level on ground” solutions … look like @%^@%).

There are a few papers when dealing with boundary:

But the software behind is not very open.

Have a look at this very basic work “Geodesic Math and How to Use It”, by Hugh Kenner, I think at Berkeley Uni. Press. for a very clear description of various subdivision methods for geodesic domes using also different basic polyhedra, such as octahedron, icoshedron, dodecahedron, triacontahedron. Also the works of T. Tarnai, J. Clinton, Pavlov, amog others.