Form2 SLA Printer - Review?

Does anyone have first-hand experience using a FormLabs Form2 printer?

Any impartial views on reliability/post processing would be very welcome!

Thanks,

David

Don’t have one here, still only have my 1+, but most of the members of the APMM (Association of Professional Modelmakers) I have heard from who have a Form2 seem to be pretty happy with them.

–Mitch

Thanks Mitch,

They look pretty impressive, I’ve not used one firsthand but I do have experience with FDM, ObJet, ZCorp etc - and understand the limitations of each quite well.

Considering as a purchase to print in-house for the first time though, so good news if they are as impressive as they look…

I get quite a lot of stuff printed elsewhere but I have produced work for a couple of people who have the 1+ and it seems to be pretty good. I’ve not been impressed with most desktop PLA and ABS printers I’ve owned/used. I can’t vouch for the software though, sorry.

I recently had a sample sent from formlabs from the form2 and I was pretty impressed with it.

Andy

Cheers Andy,

Yeah, I generally use bureau’s too. Also received a sample part, which is far superior to ObJet and the like really.

Being ‘desktop’ as opposed to ‘pro’ makes me a little uncertain about the reliability and consistency of the parts? It would need to earn its keep and not just be an expensive toy…

I had a form1+ and now have a form2. It’s great. Many of the problems that plagued the form1+ have been completely resolved and I can send prints to the form2 with almost 100% confidence they’ll print. If I do get failures they’re my own fault (too few supports, etc). They are expanding their engineering resins, and seem to have the wind at their backs. Great support from the company and forum. Regular firmware/software updates. It has paid for itself many, many times over.

1 Like

Thanks for that Declan,

Dependability when up against a deadline is really important. Appreciate you relating your experience. Good to know the ongoing firmware support is good too!

Some additional hunting found this review, which is pretty comprehensive, and backs up what you’re saying…

Thanks everyone.

I’ve the f2 since 2 years. it’s really good and reliable. Never had a problem till now.
Cons are the slow printing time, the waste of material especially in the latest version of the support software and the post process.
it’s really boring to cut all the supports and, generally, some of them are too attached to the srf so when removed, they leave a mark.
the clear material isn’t so clear and really yellowish.
the tank get opaque really fast. never tried the new one.
the srf result are very good but with some thin layering depending on the orientation.
the materials are really good. I like the tough that act like abs.
Best

1 Like

Background: I had a Form 1+ at my old corporate job. At the time they had done some bullshit reorg/process change that would cause a small RP part take 2/3 days to be done, so I bought on of these and hid it in a lab for quick self serve parts. It worked ok for a few months, then it got really bad.

Present: when I was leaving that job, the modelmakers had just bought 2 Form 2s after hearing great thing from other model shops at the APMM. They had been using them non stop and raved about them and whenever I saw them the’d tell me I had just bout mine (the Form 1+) too early because this Form 2 was it. Rock solid.

Last month I finally bought a Form 2, with the washer and dryer kit (whatever that’s called that you wash the parts and then take them for a cure/dry spin). Getting the whole kit seems expensive, but the amount of hassle and mess you save in your studio by having the whole kit is totally worthy if you are busy. I really really like the Form 2 and I’ve been using so far only Tough material. It is slow to print high res, but I can do stuff that in the FDM printers I just can’t. The support connections (where support material touches your part) are a pain and you would always have a bad side that you need to clean up and probably paint. I have not done finish appearance models with it but with some finishing it’s possible. I’m now considering getting a second one, but I’m also curious to see how good the Prusa SL1 because the pride is really good but I know it will not be plug-and-play like the Form 2, so that gives me pause. I know on the FDM side, our Prusa MK3s have been fantastic and we use them more than the Ultimaker. So many options out there :slight_smile: