Fillet edge deletes face

Hey all. I’m trying to get to grips with some really basic operations in Rhino. I want to fillet some edges and I’m having some issues. The first problem is that I only seem to be able to fillet one edge rather than all the edges I have selected. Second issue I’m running into is that when I bevel the edge it deletes the face or doesn’t add the beveled edge, the area where it is meant to be just disappears. I attached a part of the model I’m working with incase that has any baring. Any advice will be much appreciated.

test.3dm.zip (102.5 KB)

more info required as we don’t really know what edges you’re attempting to fillet or what radii you’re trying to use.

that said, this might be a unit tolerance issue.
on your model where the cap has been removed, it looks like you might of tried a .005" fillet…
and your file tolerance is set to 0.0063552802…
if i change the tolerance to .0001" then try a .005" FilletEdge on the other side of the model, it completes fine:

…but then again, i’m not even sure if this is what you’re wanting to do.

Hi Jeff. Thanks for having a look at this. What you’ve done there is what I want to do, I just want to fillet the sharp edges. I’ve given what you said a go and I’m still running into issues. The only way I can get the faces to not disappear is to uncheck ‘trim and join’. If I do that and then export the model it has the bevels there but the sharp cornered mesh is kind of covering them, which is odd. This is really frustrating because I use Cinema 4D all day everyday so thought I’d be able to jump in pretty easily to do something as basic as this but I really can’t get my head around it. If you have any more advice or maybe a more detailed run down of how you did it, I’d be really grateful.

I get messages like this

You can see here that it seems like its not really resolving the fillet very well.

Filletedge is an extremely weak tool. It won’t be able to make all the fillets correctly. If you use a fillet size of .005" it looks like it fails in about 10 places. Larger sized fillets fail in more places.

You can build all the fillets in Rhino that you need but that involves using the surfacing tools . You can also fix all the places that filletedge misses using the surface tools.

The best way to approach this if you want to fix the FilletEdge failures is first extract and copy to the clipboard the top and bottom surface. Then fillet all the boundary edges using filletEdge. Then extract the top and bottom surface again and delete them and paste the old version back from the clipboard. The reason for doing this is that filletedge trims these 2 surfaces incorrectly. Everything else trims and joins correctly so you can let filletedge do that. When you are all done making the fillets all the way around you can trim these 2 surfaces correctly with the borders of the fillets and then join it all into a solid.

The enclosed file shows how to fix up one of the spots where filletedge fails. All the other spots are pretty much the same deal.
Fix_Fillets.3dm (1.2 MB)

Hi Jim. I appreciate the advice there. It looks like I’m getting into a level of complexity that I was really trying to avoid since I don’t use Rhino as part of my work flow. I was hoping it was an easy win but its rarely the case. I’m probably best faking the bevels at a shader level in C4D rather than put so much time into understanding Rhino I think. Thanks for the help guys.

Hi Howard - as far as I can see so far, FilletEdge works fine here - as Jeff pointed out above, if you want a .005 fillet, you really should be working at a tolerance tighter than .001 - I used .0001. I did not do the whole thing, but the set of edges I did seem good so far.
test_005FilletEdge.3dm (614.6 KB)

-Pascal