Fill volume body

Hello all,

I have a question for you. I would like to fill the cavity automatically to a whole solid. You could imagine that the walls, floor, ceiling has been created to a closed solid.

Is there a Rhino command for this?

Thanks a lot

I guess these are (Void Solids) which are technically individual solids inside one big solid.

are you trying to combine them? What is your goal? calculating fill material volume?

1 Like

My goal is to create the visible space on the image as a waterproof solid (Not a mesh). It is actually the opposite in the picture. The negative image. I need the object to create more parts from it. I don’t want to spend hours splitting and welding each surface etc…

Is there a Rhino command for this? or a work step?

I’m not sure what you want @Boris_87 but considering that the elements don’t touch, you may need to play with

1 - nonmanifoldmerge ( this will define a single part from volumes that are separated)
2 - createregions ( it will create the “solid” you want with the internal holes)

I hope this help,
JoaquĂ­n

1 Like

Thank you very much for your help.

Imagine making a hole at the top of the outer shell and filling it with concrete. Then there would be a negative image of all the objects that are inside. That’s what I need.

I think I understand, did you try what I suggested? what did you get?
Uploading your file and attempts would be ideal for a better solution.

1 Like

It could be that my commands are a bit different in Rhino, since Rhino is set to German… The first point has created a surface composite with my inner objects. The second one did not work… :frowning:

I have attached the test file… Maybe someone would like to open it and get smarter (I think I would be faster if I did it the old school way… :upside_down_face:)

Thanks for your help

TEST.3dm (307.2 KB)

Take a look at the model, if you see the image you can see how it looks with a clipping plane.

_CreateRegions should work if you type it in the command line.

TEST_JL_220530.3dm (303.4 KB)

1 Like

Thank you for your it worked… But when I divide the model or disassemble it, it is again individual parts…

“solids” aren’t really solid, they are only the boundary surfaces. For the purposes of rendering something like water, the pieces don’t actually have to be a single object or even be closed, their normals just have to be pointing the right ways to get the right effect. You can’t flip the normals on a closed solid, but you can on a mesh, so extracting a mesh to render would be recommended here

1 Like

Thank you very much for your help.

I see that I want something that is not CAD or technically possible. I need closed solids. I will model the negative Manuel. That is not a problem. Maybe that will come at a later date.

Thanks again for your help.

Many greetings
Boris

What are you actually trying to do? What is the end goal? What is the purpose of the model? There’s simply no such thing as ‘filling’ a solid, that’s not how it works, but it’s hardly a problem, depending on what you are actually trying to do wit this?

Hi Jim, it’s about complex architectural structures of existing buildings (laser scanning) easier to model + convert and deform to BIM objects. The whole thing would have been simple, a bit easier. That’s why I can’t work with meshes etc. e.g. for walls there I model cubic, etc…

Many greetings
Boris