Density, Weight; Filling of solids

I am looking for a way to fill a solid with material (e.g. to model a copper bar), then give it appropriate densities and then change the material of the solid between aluminium, iron and copper.
Who can help me here?
BR Eric

Hi @Eric_Hartmann
Take a look at Peter’s Tools where RealMaterialTools and Bom might be what you are looking for.
HTH, Jakob

Hi Jacob, thanks for your fast reply. I’ve activated the plugin this afternoon and made my tests.
But my topic is: How can I get a massive solid modelled in Rhino or in other words "a copper-busbar is full of Cu-material and not hollow inside (only the rendered outer surface shines brown).
Any idea?
BR Eric

Hi @Eric_Hartmann,

Keep in mind that Rhino is not a solid modeler. Rhino is a surface modeler.

A solid in Rhino is a surface or polysurface that encloses a volume. Solids are created anytime a surface or polysurface is completely closed. Rhino creates single-surface solids, polysurface solids, and extrusion solids.

More:

– Dale

There is no such thing, in every CAD system–including the ones called “solid” modelers–a “solid” is just a connected series of surfaces. The mass properties are “metadata” attached to them. The closest thing to actual “solid” modeling is voxels, which are not appropriate for CAD and are again not really “solids” but more a cloud of points.

1 Like

Where I need to figure out weights of things (especially where it’s a lot of varied things), I’ve often used Grasshopper.

In Rhino, I’ll have materials assigned to objects. I can use the Object Attributes tool from Human to pull the materials from that. Then I can split out the various materials and multiply by a density to find a weight.

(Note that it requires a little tweaking if you assign materials by layer, there’s some additional steps that I haven’t done here)
Weight Test.3dm (3.4 MB)
Weight Test.gh (13.7 KB)

1 Like

Thanks to all of you for your help. Will come back when I was succesful

This might help: