<filename>_embedded_files flood

Dear all,
I recently upgraded from Rh5 to Rh7, so please forgive my newbie question. My directories are flooded with dozens of _embedded_files. Is there a way to get rid of this behavior? The wise book says, these are generated when Rhino cannot find the material’s textures on the disk. However, since I embed the textures in to the rh-files, this appears not really necessary to me, but a rather annoying behavior. In rh5 the texture was stored within the material, and I think that’s where it belongs to.

thanks
Cyana

Hi Cyana - in V6 & V7, if the texture files are not found on the machine, the only way for Rhino to get at them is to unpack them to a folder and then link. I do not recall, if I ever knew, what all the considerations were, but that is how it is now…

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,
are you ever sleeping?
Thanks for the explanation, I’m not sure if I really understand it. When I check the ‘Embed Textures’ box while saving, the texture should be within the rh file (?). But how does Rhino find the texture in the first place then? How does it know which texture is missing, or why does it miss a texture when the texture is already embedded?

thanks
Cyana

Hi Cyana - I do not know what the mechanism is, really … so I will not try to answer, let me ask @johnc - he’s way smarter than I am and actually works on this stuff. John, what happens when a file saves with textures, it is not the same as the old v5 texture embedding but… maybe you can outline the difference?

-Pascal

Hi Cyana,

Thanks for pointing this out. Rhino is only supposed to create the ‘embedded files’ folder when you open a 3dm file containing textures that do not already exist on your disk. It seems that in V7, Rhino is unpacking the textures when it doesn’t need to. I have filed a bug report and will look into it.

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-62023

Regards,

John

Hi John,

thank you very much for this clarification. May I please add an additional question: What is the supposed behavior when you have textures within block definitions, that are only linked to the host file? Should I

• embed the texture in the block file only
  • embed in the block file and the host file as well
  • embed in the host file only

thanks
Cyana

Hi Cyana,

I’m afraid I don’t know the answer to that, but I’ll find out and report back soon.

John

Hi Cyana,

You can leave the ‘Save textures’ check box checked all the time. However, if you really want to optimize the file sizes, then you should check that box for the block file only.

Also, we have confirmed that the unnecessary creation of the embedded_files folder is indeed a bug and we will fix it soon.

Regards,

John

Thanks John for your efforts!

This issue has now been fixed. The fix should appear in version 7.3

John

Thanks John! Great job, your dev team is really fast.
Is it safe to delete these files?

thanks
Cyana