File Attachments?

Hi,

That for me is too much clutter and might get in the way of conversations.
The current implementation by McNeel makes it possible to have a file inserted as a part of regular text.
like so:


I have a file problem.3DM that crashes when…


In your example this would look like this:


I have a file


that crashes when…


I prefer the first because of the small footprint on screen. The report of size and, number of clicks could be a popup on mouse-over or something alike.
Or if you insist it could be by a click on a accompanying icon in front to the link like so:


I have a file problem.3DM that crashes when…


Bottom line is that for me adding a bar of 40 pixels just to link to a file is overkill and distorts the readablility of a conversation.

-Willem

Is this based on the PR I made with FilePicker.Io support or is this a completely new system?

It’s going to be a new system … we need to integrate it with the existing image upload functionality.

For us the main reason is that we need to offer a system that is not dependant on other third parties. Filepicker if very mature and I doubt we will match it feature for feature for a very long time.

However, we still want to offer something complete / simple and streamlined for forums that need upload support and not force them to go elsewhere, it also simplifies the backup story among other things.

SN?

What’s your mobile phone?

Also, Discourse’s image handling is already pretty awesome. Should you have any issue with images, please let met know.

As @Sam said it’s going to be a core functionnality alongside image support.

Don’t worry though, I’ll integrate Filepicker.io behind a site setting so you’ll be able to choose.

Social Networking…
–Mitch

Wim has a bunch of things blocked by his corporate firewall which is probably why he can’t see attachments routed through filepicker.io.

He probably meant S3 actually - that’s where we’re putting our files from Filepicker.io. If the Discourse uploader goes to S3, too, then Wim will likely be out of luck.

Discourse provides 2 storage locations: local and S3. The default is local.

We’re using your file uploader now with the latest server upgrade. One thing we are noticing is that the downloaded 3dm files are being saved with the long unique amazon s3 name instead of the original filename.

That’s on the top of my todo list :wink:

I never really get what’s happening :slight_smile:

On this discussion: Best approach to creating Wing Solids & Molds? Help Required! I can see the picture that Brian James uploaded and I can download the attached Wing.3dm file (from behind the corporate firewall). It’s this “sometimes I can, sometimes I can’t” that I’m not getting…

Looks like the corporate firewall that you’re behind is not very consistent.

The image Brian James posted is a .png file; the others in that thread are .jpg files.
All of them are at http://mcneelusercontent.s3.amazonaws.com/…

You’ll probably need to talk to your IT folks about this, risking the possibility that they’ll block the remaining things that work for you.

There is feature request here that might help you out a bit:
http://meta.discourse.org/t/s3-upload-with-vanity-domains/7359/2

We recently changed how file/image attachments work. For a while, all of the files and images were going through an address that started with “filepicker.io”. The new images/attachments are located at amazonaws.com as Brian mentioned. I believe your corporate firewall is set to block content from filepicker.io, but possibly not from amazonaws.com

The other images in the thread Wim asked about are on amazonaws.com, too.

I didn’t read into his message that @wim is specifically writing about posts in that single topic. It sounds like everything in that specific thread works and it is probably because all of the links go through amazonaws.com

This is a reply from my McNeel GMail account to Wim’s post. Check it out
@steve, it appears that we’ve fooled GMail into using the reply-to address.

  • Brian

Brian Gillespie
Rhinoceros Development
Robert McNeel & Associates

Cool, there are a few bugs (the @ mentioning of me didn’t work and your signature is somewhat borked), but still very cool.

I think that might be correct, yes (and it would be nice).
I will be working from home or not working at all for some time to come but I’ll keep an eye on this and try to figure out what exactly is happening.
Thanks!