In general I’m happy that McNeel moved to the web interface. Now at least a few of my students will make use of the forum.
However like some others there are a few things I miss from the news reader version.
- One is being able to expand and contract threads, but it seems that
there was a philosophical decision not to allow that. I’d be curious
as to why? Why not have it as an option?
- I liked having the time/date of posts. The “Activity” column is a bit vague and hard to decipher.
- (this bullet “feature” in the editor doesn’t seem to work very well - I have to renew it for each new bullet).
- I really liked how my newsreader would start me at the first unread post in a thread, and that the historic posts were available but not in the way. In Discourse I can click on “new” topics but it gives me the topics in every category. I usually just want Rhino for Windows.
- I can’t really figure out how the “unread” works at all. It’s seems somewhat arbitrary in what it shows.
- I’ve seen threads about quotes and I would put my vote with having a different background colour, perhaps even just the indented version but with a background change.
- Also seen the threads about using Stylish. I don’t have the time nor the expertise to customize the forum on my own. Perhaps if there was a way to just see a list of styles and with one click change the look (like with GMail) that would work for me.
- No file attachments, which is a big shortcoming.
Looking forward to how this all works out!