Family Geometry Info

Hi all,
I am trying to access the geometry information from a curtain panel family to export it in Rhino. I am able to get the geometry and materials out of the family but I am having issue in “linking” the geometry to the material so that I can organizing it by layer. As mentioned above it is a curtain panel family with nested elements inside. I have tried also “Elements Part Geometry” but seems not working.
Thanks for the help!

Hi Andrew, Try an element dependents Component on your curtain panel, that will give any nested families (plus additional elements that you may need to filter out)

Hi Japhy, thank for the reply and for the message. In the meantime I was reading another post on the forum and I found a way around. Even if I can’t organize the geometry by material I can access the subcategory. It will be good if maybe when expanding the Element Geometry component it can give you the output of the material as well. In that case we can avoid assigning a subcategory to the object in the family. Attached the definition. Thanks again!

Andrew, kind of hard to tell exactly what’s going enough to get those lined to bake, I sent you some contact info to do a team viewer if you have time to go over it. Thanks

Hi Japhy, thank for the reply and for the message. In the meantime I was reading another post on the forum and I found a way around. Even if I can’t organize the geometry by material I can access the subcategory. It will be good if maybe when expanding the Element Geometry component it can give you the output of the material as well. In that case we can avoid assigning a subcategory to the object in the family. Attached the definition. Thanks again!

Glad you got it figured out & thanks for the suggestion, i’ll put it in as a feature request.

1 Like