Facade with different type or size units which are several times basic unit

I have checked several different kinds of subdivision methods, but how to composite of different size of units in one frame like this? Could some offer some ideas?

The logic could be to use random reduce first with a rectangular subdivision (classical one), then merging the cells with a logic depending on the height.
When you see this kind of pattern you have to figure out if there is a sort of logic and make the algorithm with some rules.

It is not an easy task, sometimes its better to use your mouse (and brain) and not rely on an algorithm. Algorithm are useful for exploration, optimizations but they are not the answer to all problems.

Do you want to explore many variations or just copycat this building ?

1 Like

Hi Laurent,

For me, using sketch and mouse to show ideas is an easier way, I did’nt want to copy this building idea to other tower design, I am curious about it and want to know what’s the battery logic behind of the idea. It’s a way to expand the understand of some component compostiion I dont know or ignore.

Commonly, the idea will be retangle filled with uneven or one size unit, in this case, there are several type, yes, it’s not easy.

It is not easy for sure. I have done some subdivision on this forum and old one. This one has some new rules (the height).
I imagine you found the description of this. As you didn’t mention I put it here

SPRAWLING WINDOWS

https://design.epfl.ch/piraeus/1-assignments/1-design-projects/sprawling-windows

It is always good to put sources of images posted. It helps all people interested by your post and also it helps to search on old discussions.

1 Like

Thanks for reminding, I will pay attention to this.

There is a short description for the glass panels
Starting from the balconies, glass panels are spreading over the facade following the logic of the diffusion-limited aggregation (DLA). This algorithm simulates an organic growth based on randomly moving particles (in this case glass panels), which aggregate to clusters.

Did you see what I did some time ago ?

You could use it and then resubdivide depending on the height.