extendSrf doesnt recognise srf

Hi,
I wish to create a surface with the black profile and used extrude surface along curve picking the red line.
it only went one direction, so I then chose extendSrf to extend it the other way but it wont recognise the surface.
surface extend.3dm (48.8 KB)

Steve

Hi Steve,

To get extendSurf to work explode the corrugated surface into individual planes first.

However if the real issue is to get the extrusion to match the extent of the red line, simply move the black curve to one end of the red line before extruding. Extrusion starts from the black line and the other line simply provides a distance (allowing you to make an extrusion that matches the length of a remote part of a model).

Hope that helps
Jeremy

Hi,
is that explode then join then extend, or explode and extend each part then join them back up again ?

Knowing my luck there would be times that the direction or extent wouldnt quite tally after doing so. microscopic step at end between two surfaces etc.

Why though wasnt this surface a ‘surface’ as such ?

Steve

It’s explode, extend and join (explode then join just puts you back where you started). When extending you also have to use the setBasepoint option each time to ensure all surfaces extend the same amount (e.g. you choose a point where the red and black lines intersect and use it for all the surfaces). Its a lot of faff.

I don’t know why the corrugated surface won’t extend - it might be because the edge isn’t planar, but that is just speculation. I do know that Rajaa has been investigating some issues with extendsrf, but I don’t know how far that has got.

Jeremy

Cheers Jeremy,
as you say a lot of faff.

if planar was the cause then this bug needs fixing., fundamental so overdue I would say.

Imagine if that was made from a profile that was a rolling sea wave type curve with a few ups and downs before extending, not sure it would explode ?

Steve

No planarity isn’t the issue - I made a corrugated surface with a planar edge and I couldn’t extend that either. However, I also made a surface of rounded corrugations instead of jagged and I can extend that. So the issue preventing extension is the sharp creases. McNeel will have to say if that is by design or a bug.

Cheers
Jeremy

Hi,
thanks for testing, so sharp creases is the cause.
methinks Bug !

Steve

Hello - ExtendSrf works on surfaces, not polysurfaces. If you have a single surface that does not respond to ExtendSrf, please post it.

-Pasca;l