Ergonomic Bodies - Character Animation and Poses

Hi All,
Some time ago I made a parametric human body which converts very nice to V7 Sub-D! Pretty much everything can be controlled numerically. Simple inverse kinematics are also possible. Actually I’ve developed that for a different purpose but these NURBS bodies are very useful for ergonomic design studies in Rhino. So why not make a plug-in for it?

Maybe it would be good to support a standard format for character animation and having access to libraries with poses or even animations? Unfortunately there are many different technologies out there and I’m not up to date regarding modern character animation, motion capture and so on. Any thoughts or recommendations are very welcome!
Thank you, Jess

4 Likes

This could be super useful! What type of support do you need to make this happen?

1 Like

Hi Kyle @theoutside,

Thanks for your reply. Yes this is very useful and necessary for my industrial and ergonomic design work. It is also nice to enliven architectural scenes or any model where it helps to get the scale.

But it is a lot of work to develop such a plug-in and it is even harder to sell plug-ins to the Rhino community. And there does not seem to be much interest in this plug-in, therefore I’m just developing functionality as I need it.

Is there an Eto sample interface with a simple timeline, or maybe a Grasshopper component?

Thanks, Jess

1 Like

I’ve also been playing around with some rigging/skinning stuff on and off for a while, some with separate frames as ‘floating’ bones and highly deformable skins, and also linked kinematic skeletons with tighter binding:

wave3

I still want to improve a bit the automatic weight generation for the skinning, and the way the FK/IK combine, but when that’s done I’ll share it.

10 Likes

yes! human body and ik rigging wood be super useful for many human related applications!
+1 for me.

Hey Daniel,

I just made a post on the forum (Creating Manikin 'skin / flesh' (3D Brep) over 'skeleton / frame' (2D Curves, Points) ...?) regarding my intention to start a similar ‘rigging’ model of a hand.

You appear to have established great structure and principle behind your model; I’m wondering what likelihood you might be willing to share your script, or a basic methodology with me to study and apply to the hand?

Let me know your thoughts!

It would be incredibly useful for digital ergornomics. Also +1 for me.

2 Likes