Equilateral-ish voronoi?

I am trying to create a honeycomb pattern that is not as organic as vanilla voronoi. But the thing would be driven by a point collection, similar to voronoi. I recognize that the cells, if not evenly spaced, would create cells of different areas but I’m hoping each cell would be an equilateral polygon.

Any pointers?

hi declan,

maybe have a look here: it is a relaxed voronoi

a different approach would be to do voronoi on non random points (some kind of equal spaced grid)
or to use the lines of the voronoi with kangaroo > equalize lenght

1 Like

:wink:

voronoi_similar_length.gh (17.0 KB)

1 Like

now it tries to equalize area and limits the angle to avoid non- convex shapesvoronoi_similar_length2.gh (19.9 KB)
update:voronoi_similar_length3.gh (20.8 KB)

1 Like

I’m not quite sure what you mean by

But a few iterations of Lloyd’s Algorithm on a random point set will result in very similar looking voronoi cells. This is pretty simple to implement in grasshopper. You’ll either need copy-paste iteration or anemone or scripting to make it loop.

An alternative would be to start with a regular triangular grid (this will produce perfect hexagons for non boundary points) and then move points slightly where you want a more

vibe

2 Likes

Wow - thank you Konrad! I downloaded Voronax, which looks great. But I wish it was a .gh plugin, so I could keep a live input.

Your Kangaroo definition is really interesting too. I got a “missing component” warning at the beginning for “Multiplication”. But I do see it having some effect anyway. I will continue to look closer and play with variables. Thank you!!

1 Like

just place a multiplication compontent in the same spot as in the screenshots – this is because our grasshopper versions are not the same…

Yes! That’s great! I dropped the length multiplier to 0 and it looks great. Thank you very much!

Hi Konrad - After playing with this, I have one more question. I need the input voronoi to have a specific non-polyline shape (it’s a curve). Rebuilding the curves as lines changes this shape. So, basically I need Kangaroo to ignore the perimeter of the clipped voronoi and only focus on the interiors. Could you help one more time?

@declan allways use the @ sign :wink: , so one gets notified when you want something specific

kinda fun to play around with: voronoi_similar_length5.gh (21.9 KB)
(set the rebuild number to 2 to get straight cells)

1 Like

JSeyZK7n3Q

image image image image
voronoi_similar_length6.gh (17.1 KB)

11 Likes