Edu account to personal

I am nearing the end of my studies, and after some years on the forums I realised I’d been using the uni account to post and save stuff. It was the easiest thing to do at the time, and since uni uses a license pool connected to our edu email addresses I never really thought about it. I think this is a shot in the dark, but is there any way I can switch to a regular account and keep my stuff I have on here? I recently purchased my edu copy of Rhino to take advantage of the favourable pricing, but I wondered anyway if something like that would be feasible.
I tried to add an email address and linking a google account, but if I logout I don’t seem to be able to use those to sign back in.
Thanks!

they will help you.

1 Like

Thank you!

Hi Davide,

To change your email address for Discourse, instead of adding a secondary email, go to your profile, click on Preferences and look for your primary email address. Click on the spanner icon to change it.

HTH
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your answer. I did that and I waited some time to see if something happened. Now the gmail account is the primary (and only) email address linked to my account, but I cannot use it to access (“We couldn’t find your Rhino account” on login) but I can access regularly by using my educational email that redirects me to my university’s website… And if I do that it logs in successfully, still showing the gmail address only in profile prefs.

Super weird, maybe I’m missing something.

DG

There are two distinct accounts involved here: 1. your account for discourse.mcneel.com and 2. your account for Rhino. What we’ve talked about so far is just the mcneel discourse side. However the accounts are linked and, just as you allow Rhino to access your rhino account to get your cloud zoo licence, so you allow discourse to get your Rhino identity for logging in. It may be that association is stuck on your old uni identity. You might be able to change this by logging into your Rhino account and messing with the discourse permissions under that, but you might have to go via sales@mcneel.com to get it actioned - I don’t know.

Hi Jeremy,

I waited until my uni closed my account, so I could have a look at what would happen. If I tried to login to discourse with my original edu email it didn’t work as my edu email “does not have authorization.” This discourse account only has my gmail email as address (added as alias, and then removed my edu address to leave gmail as primary and only), but if I try to log in with that I can’t find my account. Same with “log in with Google” as an existing account; I linked the account to Google from preferences, but it outputs an error when logging in.

To see what would happen, I now created a new Rhino account with the very same Google login, and if I try to use that to log into Discourse it sends me back to the right account. So it still does not recognise my email alias, but it does accept the Google login link.

Thanks for your help.

DG