Editing surface control points using Grasshopper

unhandled

(Aileen) #1

editing surface control points using Grasshopper

is there any way to edit surface control points using Grasshopper? i can’t seem to find any examples online. thank you in advance for any assistance!

(Michael Pryor) #2

Use the surface points component to get the points. Move them around with the point deform component.

(Aileen) #3

when i use point deform on a surface the points seem to be UV coordinates and not individual points, i.e. when i use a List Item and set the index to say “1”, instead of a single point on the surface being selected it selects multiple points:

can you advise, how do i select individual/ specific control points in grasshopper?

(Michael Pryor) #4

I don’t see point deform in your screenshot, however it works fine here.

Point Deform.gh (8.7 KB)

(Aileen) #5

how are you defining the initial surface here in this example? when i do this it only picks up one of the four corners of the surface:

(Michael Pryor) #6

Make a surface with more control points. Either rebuild command in Rhino. Or rebuild surface component you can get from Pufferfish.

(Aileen) #7

i can not get this to work… here is a video showing a surface manipulation of points:

this does not seem to use Point Deform, any idea how this works?

Check attached definition equivalent to your reference tutorial.

DeformedSrf_re.gh (11.3 KB)

(Michael Pryor) #9

i can not get this to work…

What can you not get working? It is pretty straight forward. You just need a surface that has more control points, right now you’re using a surface that has only control points in the corners. Rebuild the surface with Rhino rebuild command, make the number of control points higher. It works fine in the example I sent you.

ptdef.gh (9.8 KB)

(Aileen) #10

thank you Michael and Kim, it works!
now a question in case you know the answer: both “Point Deform” and “Surface from Points” work similarly in the above examples, is there a way to add different Weights to these points?

thank you both very much!