Editing Mapping on Multiple Objects Drives Rhino Crazy

First of all, let me start by saying that Default mapping of textures should be done per material and not per object. In this way you can edit a material one single time and that texture gets applied to all selected objects.

Edit: actually if Rhino did not freeze for 5 seconds doing this, it would be fine to have it as currently is, a mapping for each objects, but still, it would be nice to have a way of grouping objects to apply a single mapping to all of them.

Currently, if you have 10k objects, and you want them all to be box mapped, Rhino algorithm has to cycle through each of these objects and apply the box mapping. Change one single value and the loop repeats.

The Texture Mapping menu does not help at all, as entering a single digit will force the entire mapping to recalculate in all your objects.

Instead of being able to ‘lock’ the solver and make changes both in x, y and z, you make one change and it recalcualtes, and then once that calculation is done you can change a second value.

But even worst, if you want to input a 2 or even 3 digit value, say 35.

The moment you enter 3, it starts calculating! and then you have to wait for it and input 5 for it to be 35!

Who codes this stuff man? Bet Chat GPT can do a better job.

Also, why is it so hard for rhino to edit mapping?

Other software can do it on thousands of objects literally live. While my Rhino freezes for 5 or more seconds.

Feel free to ask ChatGPT to write you a better plugin that does the same job

3 Likes

Nah man, I already paid for you guys to do it. You can ask it though, save some time.

Come one now, don’t be so defensive. You have to admit there is something fundamentally wrong if the user can’t even input two digit values into the interface menu of the software you are selling.

I would understand the code not being efficient or updated. But having it recalculate for every single value without pressing ‘enter’ or some sort of confirmation from the user is bad. Specially if said calculation takes many seconds to complete.

Honestly this kind of attitudes is one of the reasons I haven’t upgraded to Rhino 7 yet and I after this I am starting to doubt I will for 8 either. Unless the interface overhaul is taking this into consideration.

I mean, are we dismissing a very obvious flaw in ux design because I said a machine can do a better job than a human being? They can do a lot of things better. No need to take offense.

I am sure they are many ‘nicer’ users out there (who probably don’t respect themselves enough to complain or they simply are able to afford spending many dollars without feeling that they are not getting what they paid for) that suffer just from the same, if not for me, then for them can we have this looked into for future versions?

Thank you.

Everything looks pretty snappy to me in the WIP with 1000 cubes. The view seems to be updated when editing is done or the slider is released.

1 Like

Shynn, Please go to your Rhino command line and run SystemInfo command an post the results here. Thanks.

Rhino 7 SR28 2023-2-27 (Rhino 7, 7.28.23058.03001, Git hash:master @ 4ffc5d7156fbccf2a5d9fcc80e522b3851bc7f6c)
License type: Evaluation, build 2023-02-27
License details: Cloud Zoo
Expires on: 2023-05-20

Windows 11 (10.0.22621 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 64Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 3-8-2023 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 531.29
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #1

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 3-8-2023
Driver Version: 31.0.15.3129
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Users\AppData\Local\Programs\Enscape\Bin64\Enscape.Rhino7.Plugin.dll “Enscape.Rhino7.Plugin” 0.0.22353.1023
C:\ProgramData\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\Pollination\1.16.0\Pollination.RH.Loader.rhp “Pollination.RH.Loader” 1.16.0.0
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\V7\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.28.23058.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.28.23058.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.28.23058.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\Plug-ins\PanelingTools (6caed836-bc06-4ebc-b1fd-e10886a0dc94)\2018.12.17.906\PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.28.23058.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.28.23058.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Thanks. Standard Operation Procedure here would be to disable 3rd party plugins for testing.

You’re an active helping member of the forum and we appreciate your input. Hopefully you will continue to be contributor and eventually upgrade your old edu license to Rhino 8 this fall during the promotion period.

Hi I am working in Rhino 7 not WIP. Not sure if something has changed.

Could you please try the latest file I have uploaded to support? Its called ‘surfaces 3

It only has about about a 6k surfaces and I am using one 4k texture.

I don’t think it has to do with plug ins but on how Rhino manages textures overall. It also has to do with Rhino’s interface not waiting for confirmation from the users inputs before doing recalculations. Talk to your devs and you will know what I am talking about.

files received and devs are looking into. Thanks for reporting.

1 Like

Yep, I got it and opened the issue here.

1 Like