Edit Wall shape

Are you planning on adding components to manipulate Wall shapes?

1 Like

@Kike is the only one that can really speak to what we have planned. What commands are you using to create walls? For instance is that a Wall-For-??? or a standard wall from 2 points?

@eirannejad may have some input on this also.

For example AddWall.ByCurve when I am trying to acheive some rhytm on building elevation. Other times when I need some custom cutout and it would be easier for me to do it from inside Rhino (especially considering further changes).

Didn’t saw many new components since then in the Rhino Inside Revit. Can I get any opinion about this feature? It would really enhance shaping of the Walls in Revit.

1 Like

Hey @barden00
Take a look at the example below. Open the Revit model first and then the GH definition. The custom python component can create a wall based on profile. But Revit API does not allow modifying the profile of an existing wall, so when the profile curve changes, the script has to delete the previous and generate a new wall.

wall from profile.zip (322.9 KB)

I have filed an issue to add this to the core components

Ah… so no chance for solution that will update the Wall shape and not delete hosted elements like Windows etc.?

Not at the moment. There are workarounds but the amount of fixes and hacky stuff around them is so much that is not appropriate for a python script. We are discussing these issues so we can potentially solve them in RiR native code.

2 Likes

Hello, are there any updates on this component? RIR is great but still a little painful to translate rhino models to BIM. Please can we have this streamlined because if this component is robust it will be extremely helpful. This and wall by face feature.

Also can anyone help me with this problem?

“1. Solution exception:Starting a new transaction is not permitted. It could be because another transaction already started and has not been completed yet, or the document is in a state in which it cannot start a new transaction (e.g. during failure handling or a read-only mode, which could be either permanent or temporary).”

As an addendum I cannot seem to make this work with multiple walls.

Wall From Profile.gh (15.7 KB)

wall by face is still not in any OOTB RIR Nodes. if you want to do this you have to make a custom c# or python node. If it helps you could follow this one page summary and it will get you started.

Thanks, marcellojs. Does this custom node only reference Mass surfaces in revit? Does this mean i have to first convert a native Rhino surface into a Revit Mass? I wish there was some kind of automatic conversion in wherein I could simply reference a Rhino surface from grasshopper and use that directly .

Well
that’s a great question!
you would not need to “RECREATE” the brep in Revit
you would make a mass family with the brep as the input geometry and place it in revit.
see graphics below…

Thank you so much marcellojs. This will take me time coz im just learning c#. Also can i ask about roofs though. Is there a way to do the same thing with roofs?

1 Like

Hello @scottd , I’m new to c# and I tried to follow the instructions from the RIR main page and also the Revit Wall By Host posted by @marcellojs but I’m getting an error. Can you help me out with this one?

Wall By Face C#.gh (4.7 KB)

Has anyone solved this problem? I am not capable of creating this component in c#, I got some errors as well as @attheeast18 .

I would appreciate any help @scottd

Regards!

Hey @bbalbastre ,

Check this post